Dental cleaning with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

saycheese

Dental cleaning with braces

#1 Post by saycheese »

Hi all~

I searched for an answer to my question and didn't find it. I apologize if this has been recently discussed.

My regular cleaning is coming up in 2 weeks.

Now that I have braces I'm wondering how it works.

Does the hygentist remove my wire and powerchain or will she clean my teeth with them on?

Thanks!
ceramic uppers
metal bottoms

Estimated Treatment Time - 36 months

jenfire

#2 Post by jenfire »

My hygenist did not remove the wires or ligs/powerchains when I had my first cleaning a couple weeks ago.
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

Anticipator

#3 Post by Anticipator »

I have had two cleanings so far and both were with the archwires on, but they've said that it's a lot easier for them to do it without wires.

Also, my general dentist tends to take x-rays at each cleaning, possibly because she likes to be proactive about cavities, or more likely because my insurance has no limit. :?

Either way, it's apparently more difficult for them to assess the potential cavities with the archwires present.

When I had two fillings done last month I had my archwires removed, and will have them removed again for my next cleaning next month.

EDITED TO ADD: It is extremely unlikely that your general dentist/hygenist would risk interfering with your orthodontist's work by removing anything, even temporarily. I would expect that's a professional boundary that would not be crossed.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

I had my archwire removed by my ortho's office the day before I got my teeth cleaned because due to timing, it would not have worked to get it removed the same day as getting my teeth cleaned. The next day, after I got my teeth cleaned, I went back to my ortho's office got my adjustment and archwire placed back in. My dentist's office prefers for the archwire to be removed to make it easier to clean my teeth. I think some dental offices prefer for the archwire, powerchains, etc. to be removed and some don't have a preference. It may be best if you called your dentists' office and ask them. If they prefer to have it removed, you will need to make a couple appts. (to get it removed and put back in) with your ortho's office. I found this to be the most time consuming part of ortho treatment, mainly because my dentists' office and ortho office is about 30 minutes away from each other.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

saycheese

#5 Post by saycheese »

Thanks everyone.

I think I'll give the office a call.

My ortho is located is the same office as my regular dentist. However, the ortho is only at my particular location on Mondays.

Thanks again~ :D
ceramic uppers
metal bottoms

Estimated Treatment Time - 36 months

montesser

#6 Post by montesser »

I am on a regular 3 month cleaning schedule with my dentist now that I have braces. The hygentist in the office changed recently so the last two cleanings were different. My first hygentist had no problem with the cleaning. She even flossed for me just in case I was missing any. Both her children have braces so she is a pro with it. The second one doesn't feel as comfortable tampering with the equipment so she has left the flossing up to me. But neither said anything about needing to have the wires removed.

BTW, both my ortho and dentist recommend the 3 month cleaning schedule for people with braces throughout their treatment. This ensures healthy gums which should help you progress a lot quicker.
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

ssfw

#7 Post by ssfw »

Hi saycheese,

You indicated your ortho is only in on Mondays. At my ortho's office, the assistant is available to remove and put the archwire back in. Can the assistant in your office do this? If s/he can, then you won't have to feel that you have to make an appt. to get your teeth cleaned on a Monday, which sometimes makes it more difficult to make an appt.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08