Teeth extractions!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Teeth extractions!

#1 Post by newmetal »

Another worry,
Im getting four teeth extracted whilst away but under anesthetic....im worried if im honest. I have never had any teeth out, does it hurt?What should i expect etc??
Many Thanks
Newmetal

Dramagyrl

#2 Post by Dramagyrl »

Newmetal, I had four teeth extracted one week before my braces. One of the teeth was a canine really low in the gumline which may still eventually need skin-grafting, so I too was very nervous.
I had it done awake in the chair, and really, it's not that bad. I felt the pressure from the dentist wiggling the teeth and as he removed them. I did bleed a lot and had to keep cotton in for the majority of that day. The freezing coming out was still probably the worst of the first day.
I stuck to smoothies and such for the first couple days, because I was tender and too much aggravation started the gums to bleed. I used a syringe to help clean food out of the holes after I ate so as to prevent an infection. I used Advil Liquigels and it wasn't long before the pain passed, maybe two days.
Just make sure you give yourself a couple days to rest and relax and make sure you do your saltwater rinces. I eventually switched to Amosan rinces because they are designed to help heal tooth extraction wounds.
Only a week later, they were feeling pretty good and as soon as those braces were on, I forgot all about the extractions (with the exception of food getting caught in them and me having four less teeth to eat with.)

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I had a lower wisdom tooth pulled under local anaesthetic. I had no pain either during or afterwards.

LP

#4 Post by LP »

I had my wisdom teeth pulled under a general aneasthetic, and had 4 molars pulled at the dentist with regualar freezing (2 before braces and 2 the afternoon after the braces were put on). It's not that bad at all. I would say the wisdom teeth were much worse as they were badly inpacted. Well...that and I always feel HORRBILE after a general aneasthetic.

I do know some people who had some nasty bruising after removal of wisdom teeth, but I was totally fine. Basicall what Dramagryl said for care is how I did it too.

Good luck.

tin_grin

#5 Post by tin_grin »

I had 2 teeth removed yesterday. The pain wasn't too bad, but I've had a bad headache for two days. The doctor and his staff were fantastic- I hope you are as lucky as I was. I have an Rx for oxycodone which I've taken a couple of times for the pain and to help me sleep. I could have gotten along without it, but I'm glad I had the option.

I had the gauze in for about 3 hours (which I think was too long). My doctor called to check on me while I had the gauze in, and he said it may have been acting as a wick and encouraged it to ooze. I took it out and tried wet tea bags for 40 minutes and then stopped. It's not active bleeding and will eventually stop. Be careful not to rinse and by all means don't use a Water Pik for several days. It sounds gross, but a clot needs to form in the tooth socket in order for it to heal.

Don't forget to apply ice to your cheek where the extraction(s) occurred. It will help a lot. Do for as long as you can.

Good luck!

Henna_the_braceface

#6 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I had 4 premolar extractions nearly 7 months ago under local anaesthetic. It really wasn't too bad. Good luck! :D