Anyone know process involved in switching orthos?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Painfulvanity

Anyone know process involved in switching orthos?

#1 Post by Painfulvanity »

Well, I am definitely dropping current ortho, but I have not yet contacted her to see about any refunded money, etc. I have another dr I am going to see but the decision is made in my mind either way. If anyone has gone thru this can they shed some light on what they had to do; did you have to sign a release to allow new dr to treat you, did you get any money back, etc.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx, Cindy

Xero

#2 Post by Xero »

I changed orthos 2 times, so I may be able to help.

First of all, make sure your current ortho does NOT make an insurance claim if you have insurance. My insurance gives 2 grand to my ortho, so tell your current ortho that you want to stop immediately! Don't wait or they might've already taken the 2 grand.

Second, find a responsible ortho. Go to braces.org and find a certified one in your area. The ortho would then need to take your records from your old ortho. The refund should be sent by then.

Good luck!
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

gunter8888

#3 Post by gunter8888 »

That was one of the questions I asked before starting (thanks to a very smart wife!) because for me there is always the possibility of moving out of state. My ortho said they would refund a pro-rated amount of my fees. The said they would also transfer my records and have a consultation phone call with the new ortho for $200.

The $200 seems steep for a phone call and a FedEx, but I do know people who's orthos refused to refund at all. So I will be grateful and hope I don't have to move for 24-30 months.

I would add that losing patients is not new to any ortho, dentist or doctor. It happens all the time. So it shouldn't be too big of a hassle for the old ortho.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

You will want to notify your current ortho in writing that you will be seeking treatment elsewhere and no longer wish to be a patient of record in their practice. If you have a problem with their treatment let them know. Ask them about a partial refund since treatment was not completed, the amount you have refunded or owe will vary based on office policy. They will have you sign some forms allowing them to release your records to another clinician and just sit back and wait for it to happen. They will most likely charge a fee for this.

gunter8888, $200 is not unreasonable IMHO. You are paying for copies of all records to be created and shipped to another office and also for the doctors time. In a dental/ortho/any medical office time is money. The time that they have to spend discussing your case and answering questions is time that they cannot spend in the chair. If the ortho is making $800/hour on average, not so unreasonable when you think about the charge. Just my opinion and something to think about.

Regards,
Rory