New to the process.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blonde_Metal04

New to the process.

#1 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Hey guys!
I must start out by saying that I am totally in love with the site. I am 19 years old, and my teeth aren't that crooked but I have TMJ and a bad bite, and my dentist has been reccommending braces to me for years and I have always declined out of fear of pain and discomfort. After stumbling upon this site, pending my last visit, I was convinced to go ahead and get braces to help the TMJ, so thanks for helping me take the plunge! My consultation with X-ray's is on the 3rd and I must say that I am both excited and nervous. I am excited about a new experience, and nervous about what being braced truly means... :lol:
You guys are going to be my best friends through this process! I'll be sure to keep everyone updated!

:D

eaglesoaring

#2 Post by eaglesoaring »

Welcome, Blonde!!! Good luck on the 3rd!! You'll find everyone on this site to be very helpful and kind!! Oh, and if you don't get a response right away, keep in mind that we're all in different time zones, so we might be asleep, while you're posting.

I was very nervous...made myself a little sick the day I got braces, but I've found that braces are manageable. And the info I've learned, and continue to learn, from this site, is priceless.

I recommend that you read as many posts as possible, and gather as much info as possible...because don't we all really just fear the UNKNOWN? Knowledge is power. And feel free to ask many questions on here!

On my initial consult, I was not happy with my treatment plan, so I went out and got about 4 more consults before deciding on an Ortho/plan. I found an Ortho I am very happy with! I wish that for you!
Again, welcome!
eagle

Pirate Wench

#3 Post by Pirate Wench »

:dance: How exciting...another newbie :dance:

It is wonderful that you have decided to get started on this new adventure. I have also found this site to be a wealth of knowledge. It is one thing to get info from you ortho office, but it is really nice to see how the real world is dealing with all these new appliances. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

What kind of braces are you getting? You should google the brand that your ortho office uses so you can find out as much about the product as possible. You can also ask if anyone on this site has that kind specificly and find out what they think of them.

Good luck with everything.....keep us up to date. :computer:

Blonde_Metal04

#4 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Hey you guys!
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and smart tips. Tomorrow is the day that I get x-rayed and everything, so I will be sure to ask a lot of questions, especially about the brand they use... that is such a good idea.. I think I probably still have a month or so until I am officially braced, because this is just the Xrays, so he may find that I need some extractions or something because my teeth are pretty crowded, and I still have my wisdom teeth. Since you all are so open about asking questions, here is my first official question... I have TMJ pretty bad.... and I have two different bites.... when I relax my jaw, or when I am talking or sleeping, I have a crossbite.... but my back teeth don't touch, so when I eat, I push my jaw back a little so that I can chew my food. Both of the bites feel pretty normal, but when I push it back there is a little pressure. I am worried about knowing which one is my "true" bite. Will the ortho be able to tell me which one my true bite is? Has anyone ever heard of this before??... I am worried about telling him I have two bites and him choosing the wrong one to fix and then me ending up worse than I started out....
:shock:

Blonde_Metal04

#5 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Thanks so much, KIWI... This has been my biggest worry since the process started. You guys are all so helpful. Ok-- so another question :roll: ..... My midline is also screwed up. The teeth that should be resting under my two front teeth are one tooth over. Will braces fix this as well??
Thanks!
Ps. KIWI I love purple, too. I think it will be my first color...

mert1225

#6 Post by mert1225 »

welcome blonde!!!!

Blonde_Metal04

#7 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Well my ortho appointment was yesterday, and I'd say it went well. An assistant took all of the X-ray's that were needed, and molds of my mouth after he gave me an examination. He seems really confident that he can take my jaw discomfort away which is really relieving. I have to get spacers on the 9th, and I officiallly become braced on the 16th. He told me I will have full metal on the bottom, and top, except for my first four teeth he is going to put an expander behind which wraps around to the front and pushes my front teeth out. Has anyone ever heard of this before??Thanks for all of the warm welcome and support you guys!! :)
:P