Lips question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Lips question

#1 Post by newmetal »

Hey, just a few questions.

Getting my braces in about a month and just a bit curious about how it will make my mouth look. Does everyone with braces have that protruding lips look? How did they make your mouth look?

Also

Now without the braces, when i talk you cannot really see my teeth, will this change with braces???

I think the covering up of my teeth when i talk is a skill i mastered at a very young age to cover up my bad teeth.

LoobyLou

#2 Post by LoobyLou »

When I first got mine I felt like my lips stuck out a mile but after a couple of weeks they didn't feel any different. In fact now the feel like a completely normal part of my mouth.

I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to see yours a lot if you can't see our teeth...

Good luck!

LoobyLou xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

lilonething

#3 Post by lilonething »

I worry about this too. I don't care so much how it feels, but I do care about how it looks. Backwards, eh? Even if it gets to feel normal after a few weeks, does it still look like your lips are protruding??? I have very thin lips.

jennandtonic

#4 Post by jennandtonic »

It feels that way at first, but after awhile it doesn't and you realize that no one else notices a difference.

Way Too Old For This

#5 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Since getting braces I actually HAVE lips. Mine are so thin and the braces make them look fuller. I like it. I'm hoping that by widening my arch some they will remain a little fuller after the braces come off.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Way Too Old For This

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Oops, duplicate post.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

missing_tooth

#7 Post by missing_tooth »

Well I never noticed my lips sticking out. Of course I only have braces on my top teeth, and not certain when the ortho will put them on the lower teeth. I will say at times my lips get really dried out and I end up using a bunch of chapstick or gloss.

- Missing Tooth -

nvcarissa

#8 Post by nvcarissa »

Since getting braces I actually HAVE lips. Mine are so thin and the braces make them look fuller. I like it. I'm hoping that by widening my arch some they will remain a little fuller after the braces come off.
My upper lip was/is thin but with braces on my lips are a bit fuller. Nice. With the expansion of my bite, it looks like I will have a wider mouth too, when all is said and done. Previously I had a very small, pinched mouth.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Pirate Wench

#9 Post by Pirate Wench »

I didn't notice my lips stick out more after the braces are on....I only have the top ones on right now.....so that might change after the bottoms are on.

Don't try to hide them....kiwi is right....they look alot more obvious when you try to hide them.

Enjoy them and show them off....you are doing something great for yourself. :thumbsup:

jessikah

#10 Post by jessikah »

the first few days of my braces journey...my lips felt much bigger... its been a couple of weeks now and i don't really notice them. i was very concious at the start, and found it hard to close my mouth as my lips were getting stuck lol... as the days go by everything is getting much easier!

Izzy

#11 Post by Izzy »

I also have thin lips and like the little extra bit of lips the braces cause. I'm also hoping that my lips stay this way. Additonally, since having braces my lipstick no longer gets all over my "snaggle tooth"!! Two little bright spots on the braces journey!

Hallanole

#12 Post by Hallanole »

I have very full lips and have only had my braces on since monday. Yes I'm still a little puffy from the cutting, but otherwise I have Angelina Jolie lips now.

I think my guy will really want to kiss me when he sees me tomorrow.

I actually think my lips look sexier.

My friend also has braces and her lips were very thin. After the first few painful days, her lips look fuller.

anotherbraceface

#13 Post by anotherbraceface »

I have a very long, narrow face and jaw (hence the need for dental extractions and braces). When I first got the braces, I had a lot of trouble closing my mouth over them. Since then, I've been able to do it, but I definitely find that my mouth protrudes a bit. When I close my mouth, my lips don't look any better, it just looks like I have something in my mouth and I fear that they make my face look thinner too.

They will more than likely change your face a little bit, possibly for the better, possibly not, but you'll get used to the change very quickly.