Just got springs...ouch :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

girl_with_a_bob

Just got springs...ouch :(

#1 Post by girl_with_a_bob »

I just got a spring put on my lower front teeth to make space for an impacted tooth. It's right in the front, and it's cutting my lip. My teeth ache so bad from this spring. When does the aching stop? How long do you typically have to wear springs? How do the springs make make room for crowded teeth? Sorry for so many questions, I've only had braces for a few months and have no idea what I've gotten myself into :( Thanks.

ShinySmile

#2 Post by ShinySmile »

I can't help you, I don't get braces until tomorrow...but I just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon! :(

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

girl_with_a_bob

#3 Post by girl_with_a_bob »

Thanks ShinySmile. Good luck with getting braced tomorrow.

Thanks Mery for the info. That makes sense the way you described it. I'll make sure I rinse with salt water, and I will put wax on the sharp edge.

How long do you typically have to wear a spring for? Can it really create that much extra space?

braced4asmile

#4 Post by braced4asmile »

Hi girl_with_a_bob ~
I hope you are feeling better and the wax and salt water rinses are helping. I had springs put on about a month ago, 2 weeks after getting the braces. When they were put on, the springs looked like a rollercoaster, going up and down on my bottom teeth. I went in after having them in for only a couple weeks and the ortho took one set off! They did their job in a short time.

I remember my teeth aching and the wire poking in the inside of my mouth. I just waxed 'em up a lot and did the rinses and soon I didn't know the springs were there. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon and those springs will do their thing. :)

Anxious to be debanded 4/23/08!

afrederick

#5 Post by afrederick »

I have an open coil on my front also, just on the left side to make room. It did bother me at first but it doesn't so much anymore. However, I did have a kanker sore in that spot that took two weeks to heal because of that coil. What I found MOST helpful was the lip protector thingie that you can buy from the dentakit website. THey're plastic guards that snap onto your brackets (it's easier if you warm them with warm water first) and it protected my lip and the kanker sore healed quickly. You could use one of those but before I remembered that I had the guard, I used wax. I've had my open coil for more than 2 months and it just depends on how big of a gap you have to open and how long it takes to open that gap. I have just a little more time but next visit in Sept, I'm getting and MDA.
Pain is inevitable; misery is optional.

OneTime

#6 Post by OneTime »

I had sore from having springs in for the first five days. It was like having spacers but worst. Like some one had punch me.
I have them for 6 weeks now and they come off on Saturday.
Spring sure do work I have a gap for room. My lower arch has be moving a lot.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

girl_with_a_bob

#7 Post by girl_with_a_bob »

Thanks for the info. I am going through wax like crazy on this spring, but I think I'll look into one of those lip protectors.

Afredrick---When you went in for adjustments did the ortho change the spring each time, or has it been the same spring the whole time? Also what's an MDA?

One Time---Congrats on getting your spring off soon. That's pretty exciting. I agree the spring is the worst so far.

I'm hoping I won't have to wear this spring for very long. I need to have space made for one of my front lower teeth that is behind the rest of my front lower teeth. Anyone else have the same problem corrected with a spring? How long did it take?

Henna_the_braceface

#8 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I've got 4 springs now to close up my extraction gaps. Sorry to hear about ure pain. Like everyone else said salt water rinses and wax will help. My springs don't really bother me that much... but they did when I first got them! So u will get used to them.. Good luck :D

Gennel

#9 Post by Gennel »

My daughter had a spring on one side on top to make space to have her incisor finally connected to the archwire. She wore the spring for 4 weeks. Let me tell you that she had gaps on either side of that tooth within a few days. We noticed a gap within the first couple of hours!
I honestly wish that I would get the spring put on,maybe the movement would be faster than the powerchains I'm wearing !

Gennel

girl_with_a_bob

#10 Post by girl_with_a_bob »

Thanks for all the info everyone:) It hasn't even been a week yet, and I have a big space on one side of the culprit tooth. I am now pretty much adjusted to having it right inside my lip, so it isn't really bothering me that much anymore. I hope this spring has worked, so I can get it off at my next adjustment.