two questions from a smile seeker

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ilovetosmile232

two questions from a smile seeker

#1 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

Hello all,
I have two questions about bracer; I'm currently still trying to decide to go ahead or not.

1. When people say the treatment normally takes 2 years... dose it also includes the retainer’s time??

2. When we wear brace (Damon) dose it make your lower part of your face stick out more forward?? (like a monkey hehe) since I already have this problem at the beginning ,pretty much the reason I'm getting brace in the first place) , wouldn't this will make it unbearable even more during my 2 years treatment??

many thanks to all
from a girl that love to smile

JoeMama

#2 Post by JoeMama »

Welcome!

From what I know, the two years usually does not include the retainer. I think most people (not everyone) usually wear braces for 18-24 months and then wear retainers for a year or more afterwards. I was told I'd probably be in a retainer for several years post braces. And maybe always at night.

Having braces certainly makes you feel like your lips are really sticking out, but I don't think it's something that other people notice. It feels much worse than it looks. And after you've had them on for awhile, this feeling diminishes. And anyway - monkeys are cute! :D

Braces are a hard decision and take some getting used to, but I don't think most people here (if anyone) regret getting them. I HATED the idea of wearing braces but am happy I got them. Good luck!
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Pirate Wench

#3 Post by Pirate Wench »

My braces time is 21-27 months. This does not include my retainer time. My ortho has said over the course of 1-2 years he will get me to wear my retainer almost full time down to 1 night a week while I sleep.

I don't have my bottom braces on yet, but I think we are our own worst critics and we are probably the only ones that notice when we have braces(unless we try to hide them :lol: )

rsprouse

Re: two questions from a smile seeker

#4 Post by rsprouse »

Hello all,
I have two questions about bracer; I'm currently still trying to decide to go ahead or not.

1. When people say the treatment normally takes 2 years... dose it also includes the retainer’s time??
Treatment times are going to vary widely based on your malocclusion. You are correct that many cases take about 2 years, but there are plenty more that take more time and plenty that take less. It all depends on your problems and desired outcome. Only the person treating you can give you a good semi accurate estimate.
2. When we wear brace (Damon) dose it make your lower part of your face stick out more forward?? (like a monkey hehe) since I already have this problem at the beginning ,pretty much the reason I'm getting brace in the first place) , wouldn't this will make it unbearable even more during my 2 years treatment??
Damon's are just brackets like any other system. They have their features like any system. But they are only as good as the clinician using them. But as to your question about making your face stick out. Depending on how prognothic your mandible is then it may add a little build. I tell people to take a couple Cheerio's and lay them on your front teeth and relax your lip. That is a good estimate of how your lip will protrude. One of the common goals for orthodontic treatment is to correct dental and facial discrepancies, proper treatment should lessen the look.

Good Luck,
Rory

lilonething

#5 Post by lilonething »

Oh no! As big as cheereo's!?
I think I better think this through seriously. I don't know if I can handle that for so long. I just feel foolish with my lip sticking out that much :(

lilonething

#6 Post by lilonething »

**goes out to buy cheerio's** :wink:

Ilovetosmile232

#7 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

Thank for you all replies, this will shine alot of lights in to my Journey to a great smile
All bracketing systems will make your 'face' stick out a little ... as all brackets attacked to the front of your teeth adds space to that area, and your lips have to move over that, so that means a larger area to move over! ... but like most things on this journey ... it gets easier with time!
One of the common goals for orthodontic treatment is to correct dental and facial discrepancies, proper treatment should lessen the look.
I think I'm starting to understand, at first it will stick out a little but this will reduce during the treatment period itself, will it be a good estimate to say about 1 to 1.3 years in to a 2 years treatment I should probably see a improvement from the time I did not have bracer???

Blonde_Metal04

#8 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

ILOVETOSMILE,
I think the advice that everyone on this board has been giving you is great. I just decided to take the plunge and will be braced very soon, and am a little worried about how it may look, but the most important thing is that it is fixing my teeth and smile, and in my case ultimately reducing pain, and if it can do this for you, then I'd say go for it. It may be weird at first, but it will be worth it in the end.

Kimber

#9 Post by Kimber »

Just a word on retainers. I'm back for a second round because I diidn't keep wearing my retainers after the first time. I probably did for a couple of years, at night mostly, then went off to college and lost them. So my advice is to plan on a permanent retainer or on wearing retainers for a while, because trust me, you don't want to have to go through it all over again! :-)
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

Ilovetosmile232

#10 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

thank you all, all your replies are very helpful. I'll surely keep in on the retainer advises)