Other options for closing gaps if powerchain not working?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brandyleigh35

Other options for closing gaps if powerchain not working?

#1 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Anyone know what is used to close gaps when the powerchain is just not doing it? I have been wearing the same wire and powerchain for 16 weeks now on my lowers (it was changed out at 8 weeks but my ortho just put the same thing on again) It is not working to close the gap on my lowers at all, in fact it seems to be making it worse. The chain is forcing my one incisor on the bottom to flare out, and now when I bite it hits the back side of my front tooth. It is really uncomfortable. I have taken many pics and it looks the same if not worse then it did before we started with the powerchains.

Anyone know if springs are ever used to close gaps? or what they might do on the front incisors to get rid of the space if chains aren't working? Oh....and I have the strongest chains on, not the spaced out ones.

Brandy

Henna_the_braceface

#2 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

Ive got springs at the minute to close my 4 extraction gaps. So yes they are used to close gaps.

debonairdenise

same problem

#3 Post by debonairdenise »

I have the same problem that you have discussed. for some reason those pesky lower gaps will not close. My teeth also look like they are getting worse. My ortho even said so. Her explanation is that some teeth are just slow to move and that the teeth will get worse before they get better.

I had power chains for months, but then they were removed when my back teeth were bracketed. I assume that once the teeth align the powerchains will be placed back on my teeth. I have been in braces now for a year, so maybe I will see more change soon.

My ortho has not mentioned any alternatives for cloing the gaps.

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

I am some gaps in the front that cannot close or it will mess up the alignment and bite, so I will end up with bonding in the end.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007