How long do you wait for an adjustment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Henna_the_braceface

How long do you wait for an adjustment?

#1 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

How long do u guys wait for an adjustment? I used to go every 4-6 weeks but now because one of the orthodontists has left I'm having to wait 2 MONTHS for my next appointment! :? How many weeks apart are your adjustments?

Dramagyrl

#2 Post by Dramagyrl »

I'm going in for my very first adjustment this month. It will have been six weeks since I got the braces on.

jane2

#3 Post by jane2 »

My first adjustment was 8 weeks after the braces were put on. Later, my orthodontist asked me to visit him every 7-8 weeks. At the most recent 4th adjustment, both archwire changed to thicker ones, my ortho asked to visit him 10 weeks later. 10 weeks! isn't that too long?

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Mine started at 8 weeks and are down to 4 weeks now. My next appointment is a short one - yay!!!!

nvcarissa

#5 Post by nvcarissa »

Mine are usually about 7 weeks apart. With all the surgery stuff, I haven't actually had a real adjustment in nearly three months, though I have seen my ortho every four weeks since mid May :roll: . I go for my first post-surgical adjustment in a week and a half.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

sportsgrl97

#6 Post by sportsgrl97 »

for every adjustment, they say they want to see me back in 8 weeks... but sometimes he will be gone during those 8 weeks im guessing but im not sure and my appointment wont end up being like 10 weeks... but one time i was supposed to be scheduled 8 weeks away and they couldnt find an open appointment at any time of the day for 12 weeks :( but it usually depends on the orthos preference for how long it is between appointments

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have damon brackets and after 1 whole year have never had an appointment be greater than 6 weeks out.

I wonder if it depends on how busy your ortho is? Hmmm.. It could also depend on your case. My bottom teeth needed a ton of attention because I had a spring. The spring needed to be adjusted at times and a new bracket put on. I think he wanted to keep an eye on that in the beginning otherwise it would have held up my treatment. Well it held up my treatment anyway.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

jbjalways

#8 Post by jbjalways »

I was wondering about that too. I got braces on 7/7 and went in to get seperators between molars on 8/2, but was told it wasn't ready to do yet and wait 10 more weeks...... so my next appointment is 10/5.

Doesn't that sound way too long? Especially since none of my molars have brackets or bands (they're not hooked up).

7/7/06 Damon 3's on top, Damon 2's on bottom
03/18/08 Naked

hippyhippo

#9 Post by hippyhippo »

I'm getting damons, and I was told adjustments would be 8-10 weeks apart.

Henna_the_braceface

#10 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

hmm ive got 4 springs but i'm having to be seen every 9 weeks? :?

hannah164

#11 Post by hannah164 »

I used to go in every 4-6 weeks but now because of "BIlly" my impacted bicuspid I go in every 2 or 3 weeks depending on my schedule!

~hAnnah

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment: finally bonding a bracket to my impacted bicuspid!

jane2

#12 Post by jane2 »

Meryaten:
Thanks. I don't have those self-ligating brackets. Except for the molars, all the other brackets (including ones on premolar) are clear ones with rubber ligs. The brackets on the molars are metal.

Meryaten wrote:jane2 - I'm betting that you're in self-ligating brackets like Damon 3 or GAC In-Ovation (to name but two types). If your ortho knows that you will likely need to be in this same pair of wires a while, and with no ligs to change, why take your time or his for a visit at which nothing would be done? Of course, if your wires should get pokey between times, don't heistate to call for a quick visit to get those clipped.

To veryone above: the interval between appointments depends on a lot of factors, not least of which being where you are up to in your treatment, and what hardware you're using. Self-ligating brackets do typically come with longer intervals through much of the treatment, because of there being no rubber ligs that need to be replaced. I've seen people here posting about intervals from 4-6 weeks to 10-12 weeks.

Pirate Wench

#13 Post by Pirate Wench »

I go for adjustments every 4-6 weeks right now. I am in self-ligating braces (In-Ovations)

I wouldn't be suprised to see my adjustments get spaced out more as my wires get thicker and change shapes (round/square/etc.)

Gennel

#14 Post by Gennel »

So far my daughter's adjustments have been every 4 weeks. I don't think it will always be every 4 weeks though. Right now the ortho has been putting a spring on one side then sees her in 4wks to remove the spring and out the archwire on her incisor that was pushed back. He then put a spring on the other side and made the next adjustment 4 wks later. On the next adjustment her other incisor will be attached to the archwire and I think he will probably wait 6-8 wks to see her again since then all we have to do is wait for her incisor comes forward.

Mine have been 4 wks apart. I asked him about this and he told me that he usually sees patients every 6-8 wks.Sometimes 10wks apart.I have never heard of leaving spacers on for 10 wks though?! I am positive that I will get spacers this week and get bracketed on bottoms in 4 wks!

Gennel

Jillianleab

#15 Post by Jillianleab »

My first adjustment was 10 weeks after getting braced; I'm in IN-Ovation braces. My ortho said I could come in 7 to 8 weeks for my second adjustment. From what I've been told (by my ortho and heard on this board) the self-ligating braces have longer stretches between appointments. As long as they work in the time frame they are supposed to, I don't care!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806