How long to close extraction gaps?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LP

How long to close extraction gaps?

#1 Post by LP »

I'm just wondering for those who had extractions....how long did it take to close the gaps? I had two molars pulled years ago on the left side, and 2 bicuspids pulled the day my braces went on.

I had powerchains put on almost two weeks ago and noticed movement that same night. It used to be hard to get floss between the teeth in front of the extraction spots, and that night it just slipped in with tons of room to flop around. Since then I haven't noticed ANY movement of the teeth aroung the gaps.

I know every situation is different, but I'm just curious how long it took for others. I have no idea if it will take 2 months? 6 months? A year?

Thanks. :-#)

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

I had all 4 second premolars removed in late september of last year and i've still got the extraction gaps today. Two are almost closed and two are still rather large. But my ortho hasnt been concentration on closing the gaps that much although ive had powerchains a few times.

So im hoping around 12-15 months for the total time to close up. Im not sure about everyone else.

Henna_the_braceface

#3 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I had 4 premolar extractions in December 2005.. the gaps are still there wide and large. The springs I'm wearing to close them up aren't really doing their job at the minute.

LP

#4 Post by LP »

Thank you both. That sort of gives me an idea anyways. At least now I won't be watching them so closely hoping to see a change of some sort. My ortho said I will most likely be left with gaps (the molars I had pulled left HUGE gaps), that will need implants. So I'm not expecting them to close up completely, just hoping for some movement soon. I have a canine growing in behind my other teeth and until the one in front of the extraction spot moves I can't get a bracket on my very worst tooth. :(

pippy

#5 Post by pippy »

Hi

I had the 4 bicuspids out just before bracing a month ago - I asked my orth about it (because I don't like eating with gaps) and he reckons a good 12 months before they are gone. Not what I had in mond but better to know and stop staring at them :shock:
Keep watching all the movement everywhere else - its much more fun!

sjsarre

#6 Post by sjsarre »

Hi I had two upper bicuspids and two lower bicuspids removed about 4.5 months ago. The extraction gaps have closed up about 2/3rds and my Ortho reckons that they should be closed within the next two to three months so that will be 6-7 months in total.

I guess it all depends on your treatment plan. My ortho has had to concentrate on closing the gaps in order to make room for the real problems which is the severe crowding on my upper front and lower front. Otherwise my treatment would be completely static. He says my bite is pretty much aligned (molars etc)

I'm really glad the gaps have closed up so quickly. Especially in the last month.