First day in elastics and already notice a difference

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BrandiJeane

First day in elastics and already notice a difference

#1 Post by BrandiJeane »

Im already seeing a change in my bite! They are extremely painful! Never expected for my mouth to be this sore! Im not happy with the way my teeth are and I think my treat ment is about over! Im not sure how long he is going to keep me in elastics!

I cannot wait to get them off and have them whitened they are sooo yellow!!
Brandi- 20

Started my braces journey 5/05!

LoobyLou

#2 Post by LoobyLou »

Congratulations on your progress Brandi - I know how sore elastics are but they do a good job!!

Hang in there!!

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Brandi, I found the first 24 hours in elastics the worst. I actually reached for the painkillers, something I've not done before.

One week later, I am 100% used to them and find them quite comfortable. And they do work!

BrandiJeane

#4 Post by BrandiJeane »

I had to go for the painkillers last night. Something I dont normally do either! :(
I already see a difference so Im excited to see the difference a couple weeks from now! :D
Brandi- 20

Started my braces journey 5/05!

Joanna20

#5 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey thats great! Elastics really do work!

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

toothfairy

#6 Post by toothfairy »

Your teeth looks great! :)

KJM

#7 Post by KJM »

Brandi,
my first week in elastics was very sore too. It really took me by surprise actually. Make sure to keep the Advil handy. I also thought that warm tea/coffee helped ease the soreness.

Hang in there it will be better in a couple days. BTW your teeth look great!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

NotBob1

#8 Post by NotBob1 »

I got my midline correction elastic and class III elastics just yesterday. I wore them the rest of the day yesterday and all day today. my teeth are SORE!!!! For some reason my back two lower molars are the worst. It's kid of odd wearing the elastic aross the front, I was getting a few strange looks into my mouth, especially by a couple of employees, but, I figure it has to be done!

I just finished eating a really sofffffft burrito, but it still was a little painful. I suppose I need to go brush and hook up all of my elastics again....It's kind of a daunting task to get them all in!
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

JaneBy

#9 Post by JaneBy »

I've been in various elastic configurations for the past year. It is exciting to see the progress, and it's great when it happens quickly.

I too have had to take Advil with new confirgurations, and the soreness has often lasted four or five days. :soremouth:

NotBob1, after a couple of days, you'll have the config down...and it's just another part of the braces journey. I too have had an box in the front.

And some elastics are available in colors - so check with your ortho - I have colored elastics - orange, green, purple and pink. The purple ones are less noticeable than the regular elastics.

BrandiJeane, I too can't wait to get my braces off and my teeth whitened! Your teeth are looking good!
Braced at 41, Damon 2s - top and bottom, 8/10/04, estimated 18-24 months...did overtime! Debraced 10/4/06. Essix retainers.

NotBob1

#10 Post by NotBob1 »

Colored?? I have seen them, but never really thought about it. I joked about colored ones with the tech when she was handing me the bags of elastics.

I'll have to ask....

Thanks!

They don't seem to hurt so bad today, but it sure is a pain getting used to the one that is against the tip of my tongue!!!

Kind of weird not being able to open my mouth all of the way.....
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

CLAmom

#11 Post by CLAmom »

Good to hear those elastics are working already. Too bad it has to come with pain. My bite is similar to yours so I'm looking forward to wearing them (even tho I know I will complain at the same time!). Lookin good! :lol:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Qtgirl

#12 Post by Qtgirl »

Yes, those good ol' elastics work wonders. Ive been wearing mines for almost 3 months now and my bite has really improved.

KJM

#13 Post by KJM »

I agree Qtgirl, elastics can work miracles!

I wore elastics 24/7 for the past four months and the ortho was so pleased with the progress I only have to wear them at night on one side only. :dance:
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

fins

#14 Post by fins »

I agree, those elastics can make your teeth sore. Mine have almost always been sore to some degree, no matter how long I wear them, but they certainly do work and I've had elastics for a quite some time now. I can't wait till my last day in elastics. It's nice to know you're getting close to the end of your treatment. :D

poloaa

#15 Post by poloaa »

HI, i have my treatment for three months so far, everything is doing great, but i want to ask if everyone will need the "elastics" treatment done?? Thanks
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months