missing laterals, canines to sub, but ortho's freakin me out

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alwayshungry

missing laterals, canines to sub, but ortho's freakin me out

#1 Post by alwayshungry »

Hi,

I just went in for my 5th adjustment today and my ortho put power chains to close out the two extraction-caused gaps in my lower teeth.

I asked about the gaps in my upper teeth, and he said that the treatment there would be trickier (Earlier in life some dentist took out my permanent lateral teeth and left me with two gaping holes).

He didn't go into full detail, but started off by telling me that he would have to consult with the senior orthodontist before actually doing anything. His concern included "retraction" of certain teeth--he didn't expound on it.

From what he said, he was worried about leaving me with just my two front teeth and bringing back the teeth adjacent to my front teeth.

So I'm just wondering what it is that I should expect...for now I am totally bummed because I don't think I could socialize with that kind of upper tooth arrangement, and I'm already conscious enough as it is! Implants were not considered in my case because they said that there wasn't enough space on either side for them to fit.

:cry: help :(

alwayshungry

#2 Post by alwayshungry »

thanks KK!

I dunno why I always feel like I'm being rushed out the door (maybe because I really am hehe), but yeah I'll ask next time.

Those two powerchains are pretty...um...powerful right now. I'm beginning to feel the pull already :p

lesdents

#3 Post by lesdents »

Wow - that sounds like a rough situation.

It seems to me like the best outcome would be to use implants, to have the right look.... can't he make room for implants with springs or something? Could he shave a little off of the surrounding teeth and add smaller-than-usual implants?

I think, though, that you should be glad that your ortho wanted to ask another ortho's advice. It shows that he/she cares enough to choose the best course of action, instead of doing what's easiest. Two heads are better than one (usually), and I 'm sure they'll come up with the best solution.

Plus, if you don't like their solution, you should speak up and make your concerns heard! It's YOUR mouth, and you should be sure you're comfortable with whatever they choose to do.

Good luck!

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi alwayshungry. Just to give you a word of comfort - my next door neighbor is about 12 years old. She does not have the lateral upper teeth because they never formed. I recommended my orhtodontist among several her mother was going to check out. They have decided to go with my orthodontist and his plan (because her arch was wide enough), is to move the eye teeth forward to the lateral posistion and then reshape them to look like laterals. So, what was discussed is somethimes possible - discuss it with your orthodontist. If need be, set up a separate time so you can review what is to be accomplished. You have a special set of circumstances.

Good luck to you...
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

MB Chick

#5 Post by MB Chick »

Hi Always Hungry,

This is my first post (lots of browsing and lots of good advise and thoughts), but I wanted to chime in since you and AttaGirl2's note were similar to mine. Like AttaGirl2's neighbor, I was missing laterals and so 30-odd years ago I had braces to move my eye teeth forward into those spots. My ortho kept my baby eyeteeth, with the idea that eventually I would have to get a bridge or something for those teeth.

Flash forward to today. The roots of the baby teeth are now essentially disintegrating so I have to do something. With the advent of implants, that is clearly (for me) the best solution. I also did not have enough room, hence the reason that I am now back in braces. I was pretty unhappy when my dentist originally suggested this, but I have to say that with all of the new technology today, none of it has bothered me. The comfort level and aesthetics of braces today are a world apart.

You may have other complicating factors, but I would definitely suggest re-discussing the implants with your ortho. I am so pleased at the prospect of having a fully functioning set of teeth at the end that I actually don't mind all of work to get there (four wisdom teeth out beginning of Feb, top braces mid Feb, bottom braces mid April, eventually removal of two baby teeth, additional of two implants and all related work for the "replacement" teeth).

Not what I'd originally planned on for starting my 45th year, but actually all good. Sorry to be so long, but good luck to you. Remember, this is your life and your mouth.

shinyam

#6 Post by shinyam »

Out of curiousity, why did the dentist extract the laterals? Were they decaying? Seems like a very extreme action. :?:

rsprouse

#7 Post by rsprouse »

Moving the canines into the lateral incisor position is very tricky. The canines are very important to a proper occlusion. Did the ortho talk about removing any lower anterior teeth to help in aiding?

Single unit implants are typically a very good solution for patients with a single edentulous space. As far not enough space, did they say implants are not possible because of bone level? Proximity to adjacent roots?

Have you discussed moving the canine thru molars distally and doing a bridge? Or if that would allow enough space for an implant? Sounds like you have a very challenging case. Just realize that you have to make compromises in nearly all treatment.

Good Luck,
Rory

IdRatherBeRiding

#8 Post by IdRatherBeRiding »

Alwayshungry,
I am 37 and congenitally missing both my upper laterals. Before I was braced, I had an extraction to remove a baby lateral on the left side that had never fallen out. The extraction left me with a gap big enough to fit my pinky finger.

I've since had my front teeth pulled around so my midline is now straight and the left canine brought down, turned and pulled forward. I was also in elastics to correct an overjet and open bite.

I'm now in large, square finishing wires and my teeth are looking great. My canines will eventually be filed so they more closely resemble laterals, but even my regular dentist forgets I don't have laterals.

My result has been beyond my expectations. I understand that I am very lucky, since pulling the canines forward doesn't always give the most pleasing look, but my alternatives were limited because my mouth is very small. Moving my teeth back for implants would have caused far more problems than constricting my arch and using the teeth I already have.

I was able to see the projection of what my mouth would look like after treatment and that gave me a lot of comfort. I'll never have a perfect smile, because I simply don't have the right amount of teeth, but the smile I now have is worlds better than I ever could have imagined.

I wish you luck.
Julia