wire tie pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

missing_tooth

wire tie pain

#1 Post by missing_tooth »

I had an adjustment just 2 weeks after my last adjustment to have the impact cainin tooth chain re-attached.

This time however, they put wire ties on all of the teeth. Wow this hurts, and this was one on monday, and my teeth are super sensitive. Should they be this sensitive for 2 days?

Also, has anyone else gotten all wire ties? Is there a reason why they would use wire over elastic ligs?

I plan to take a trip soon and got to thinking, will my braces set off the metal detector? I've heard they don't, but I have 2 arch wires, metal wire ties, and the gold chain that comes out of my gums. That's an aweful lot of metal.

Thanks

- Missing Tooth -

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I've got wire ties on my linguals and some wire ties on my ceramics. When the wire ties are being tied in, they do tend to feel somewhat more sensitive than regular ligs.

You won't set off the metal detector at the airport, rest assured.

Bridget

#3 Post by Bridget »

Hi there!

I have the same wire things as you do! I did not have a choice whatsoever....for the first weeks, my ortho uses clear ligs (no colors available at all) and then you get those wires on each and every bracket! I got them last week and they bother me, too. My teeth are fine, however - it's just this rough feeling which is driving me mad...I use wax a lot these days.....

But I guess this will be getting better soon.

What scared me was when the assistant put the wires on and screwed them tight.....I thought she was pulling my teeth out :shock:

Good luck with your wires ....and I really believe it will be getting better soon!

Bridget

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

jaswi

#4 Post by jaswi »

I've had nothing but wire ties since day one. They replaced about 5 of them at my first adjustment, and man did the pressure hurt when they were retying em

missing_tooth

#5 Post by missing_tooth »

Thanks guys, glad to know that I'm not alone.

I did insist on color, but they only put them on 5 teeth. Shame because I have a full smile that shows all of my teeth. I dunno if they truely can not put them over the wire ties and or they are just lazy. I know she was reluctant to put them over the wire ties.

Ok ok ok.... so I love color. Had braces almost 7 months and all I want is a mouth full of color, but have not been able to have that yet :( So many pics going to be taken this month during my get away to. argh... I really hope they don't continue to use wire.

Thanks guys,

- Missing Tooth -