powerchain- different purpose?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DichCa

powerchain- different purpose?

#1 Post by DichCa »

Hey! I just had a powerchain put on today and I'm wondering why they would do that? I understand for my lowers, because i have a gap at the back, but I also got it on the top. My top teeth have no gaps or any sort of major alignment problems, so makes me wonder why I need a powerchain there? Do you guys know of any other purpose for powerchains?

Thanks...and oh boy, are my teeth sore! I'm actually liking the feeling though :lol:
-Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent-

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

My older son never had gaps but had power chains put on for a couple months at the end of his treatment. I *think* they were to pull them into better alignment.

My youngest got power chains this week for his front teeth, His are for the usual reasons, as he is in phase I and they are closing the gaps made by the expander.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

ThisIsMary

#3 Post by ThisIsMary »

i've had power chains for the past 6 months or so and I haven't had gaps for about 5 months. I've been told the reason they keep using them is to make sure everything stays in place while other things get fixed or until removal and the retainers can hold it all in place.
[/url]

Ceramics on top
Metals on bottom
18 - 24 month duration
Removed September 27, 2006
Hawley top and bottom

36nBraced

#4 Post by 36nBraced »

i got my lowers on yesterday and i have a power chain on the back right side. i asked why and was told to rotate that tooth. i had no idea it needed rotating...i sound like car tires :lol:
Length of treatment: 18 - 24 months
06/13/06: Ceramic Uppers
06/29/06: Gum Grafts on 2 teeth
08/10/06: Metal Lowers

10/03/06: First Adjustment, 16 weeks after getting top braced; 8 weeks after lower...whoa !!!

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I've had them on and off for the past several months.
Right now I have only a bottom chain to bring the front inward just a tad.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007