Do you learn on here? From your ortho? Or both?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

stargirl

#1 Post by stargirl »

I would definitely say that I've learned most about orthodontics here! I know the basics like my "diagnosis" from my ortho... but other than that, very little.

I find all this braces stuff fascinting - I don't know how anyone could go through two years of treatment and not be curious as to what's going on in their mouth!

In other words, you guys are all so helpful! :D

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Learning from the boards is great because you hear experiences from other people. How many adults in braces do you know in real life? This is one great opportunity to learn. Just wish we had more orthos on the board.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

alexa

#3 Post by alexa »

AllI know I learned here and from personal experience.

My ortho doesn't explain jack. :roll:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

36nBraced

#4 Post by 36nBraced »

i've learned more here. my ortho is good but he's too technical and i get that deer in headlights look when explains things to me. i feel that i learn better from people who are going through similar issues.
Length of treatment: 18 - 24 months
06/13/06: Ceramic Uppers
06/29/06: Gum Grafts on 2 teeth
08/10/06: Metal Lowers

10/03/06: First Adjustment, 16 weeks after getting top braced; 8 weeks after lower...whoa !!!

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

I know of only one other adult IRL who is wearing braces and somehow I didn't really feel like quizzing her (even though she is a dear friend).

This board has been absolutely fantastic in both leading me to the decision and preparing me for braces. I probably wouldn't have done it without the wealth of information and ongoing support of others here.

I've developed a good relationship with my ortho and he knows that I'm motivated and willing to co-operate which probably makes it a lot easier for him to treat me. He always tells me what he's going to do when I'm in the chair and also what to expect at the next adjustment. Anything I want to know, all I have to do is ask. I tend not to ask much, and I've resisted asking the "when will they come off" question because I can see that I'm still way off from being there.

Henna_the_braceface

#6 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

This board has been awesome! I've learnt loads from it! But my ortho never tells me anything about my treatment i have to repeatedly ask.

Kell

#7 Post by Kell »

I pretty much learn everything here. My ortho is not chatty by any means but he will give me a quick answer if I ask a question. He looks in my mouth then tells the assistant what to do. If I don't understand what he is telling her I ask him and he explains. Most of the time I know what he is talking about because I've heard about it on this board so I don't bother asking.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

I have learned alot from both my orthodontist and this board. My orthodontist is very good at explaining what will be done and always takes the time to answer my questions. I have also learned so much from this board, for example I never heard of powerchains until I read about it on this board and at my last appt. I got a powerchain on my upper braces. This board has so much information from info. about lig. colors to how it feels to get your braces removed. I think from reading all of the info. on this board has made me know what questions to ask my orthodontist. I think this is one of the reasons I have enjoyed my ortho treatment - I know what to expect and if not I know what questions to ask. But, keep in mind there are alot of people that don't want to know any detail about their ortho treatment and that's okay too. I have also felt support from both my ortho's office and this board. It is nice to be able to post a question when you think of it and not have to wait until your next appt. to get an answer - I have found there's always at least one person that has an answer.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Clo

#9 Post by Clo »

Oh yes, this site and more general the net itself have been very helpful to
me too.

At my appointment this week, my ortho said I would be a very good
orthodontist. I asked why. He said because I have great insight into all
these orthodontic matters. So I am sure reading the posts here is very
helpful. But then after having braces for more than 27 months now and
coming here from time to time for more than 3 years now leads to more
knowledge without any doubt.

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

My ortho is great and will always take the time to explain things. Having said that, if it's a more minor issue I prefer to come here and ask, partly because I don't like to keep bothering him and partly because there's no substitute for spaking to someone who has been through the same thing.

Willz

#11 Post by Willz »

Boards fore sure! My ortho is shocking.

Betty Bat

#12 Post by Betty Bat »

I got a lot of practical information from the board - about toothbrushes, floss and how to floss, toothpaste, mouthwash, ... Also, this is where I learned about the possible interaction between the Fosamax-type drugs and implants.

And, rsprouse is my hero when it comes to explaining technical/medical issues.

But, I think that some of the topics discussed are based on opinions - and we all have our opinions!

BraceFace12

#13 Post by BraceFace12 »

I have learned so much from this message board. My ortho doesn't usually say very much and its always great to go on here and ask questions or talk about problems. I was so excited when I found this site because my friends and family aren't as into orthodontic treatment as I am. I love this place! Thanks Lynn :D
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

Kimber

#14 Post by Kimber »

This board has been awesome for learning everything about braces. I talked yesterday with a woman who just got her braces off a few months ago and I was explaining to her how the archwires do the work. She wore braces for 2 1/2 years and had no idea how they worked! And I certainly wouldn't either if it wasn't for here. I know I can ask my ortho anything, but I actually find I haven't needed to yet because I haven't had any questions that haven't been answered by just reading through the posts -- mostly in answer to questions I never would have thought to ask!
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

hidngat39

#15 Post by hidngat39 »

I learn from both sources.

Since my ortho's practice is mostly kids who just sit there and take it, I think he was initially surprised when I had so many questions about my treatment.

He was curious as to where I got my information and has since checked into Metal Mouth. I have made some comments on a few issues I was having and he was terrific to explain why things would/would not work for me. I totally appreciate both places-you guys ROCK!!! :lol:
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!