which feels worse

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tamsteve

which feels worse

#1 Post by tamsteve »

Hi i got my top braces put on thursday. Are the top easier then the bottoms? i mean as far as pain? Or are they basically the same? My teeth are more crooked on the bottom so, i don't know if that means it will hurt worse. Some people said thier tongue gets really sore. i haven't had any tongue pain is it becaus i only have tops? i have canker sores on my cheek but, that's about it. thanks for any info.... :)

lildave

#2 Post by lildave »

Honestly it depends on where you are more sensitive. I had just a minor problem with my two front teeth but they were both the seem amount of pain to me. The first two months were the worst personally. It wasn't just the pain of my teeth moving but the pain of your mouth getting used to them. You'll do just fine! I'm the biggest baby and I got though it just fine!!

Good luck and congrats!! :)

Gennel

#3 Post by Gennel »

I will find the answer to that question next week. I have my top braces on only and will get my bottoms on 8/23/06 . I am getting molar bands and I will make sure that my ortho either pushes down the cleats or putting a ligature on that inside cleat. For me the pain/discomfort was a different tooth every day or so. It was strange. One day my front tooth would hurt and that would go away in a few hrs then my canine would hurt lol.
People say that the spacers were the worst part of braces. Well I have some on and it was uncomfortable for about 2 days and now I totally forgot that they are in there. In fact they move easily and I have to make sure they stay in so I guess they have made some space already!

Gennel

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I found the bottoms took longer to get used to than the tops (and I've got lingual uppers). And my bottom teeth were not crooked either.

36nBraced

#5 Post by 36nBraced »

have had my ceramic uppers since 6/13...just got my lowers on 8/10. my lowers seem worse right now. i think it's because i'm not used to the discomfort in my lowers yet.

there is no standard, it's all contingent upon your pain threshold.
Length of treatment: 18 - 24 months
06/13/06: Ceramic Uppers
06/29/06: Gum Grafts on 2 teeth
08/10/06: Metal Lowers

10/03/06: First Adjustment, 16 weeks after getting top braced; 8 weeks after lower...whoa !!!

wiredkitty

Shape face maybe?

#6 Post by wiredkitty »

I think it may depend on the shape of your face and mouth and what type of brackets you have. I have ceramics and top six and metal on rest. The ceramics are bigger so my top lip is constantly aware of them. My lower jaw is weak so my bottom lip sticks out slightly to compensate so they don't rub as much - plus the metal brackets are smaller so stick out as much as the ceramics. I have rings on my molars and they are annoying. The top ones hurt my cheek and the bottom ones are sore on the inside as my tongue catches them.

I'm rinsing with salt water frequently during the day ( I have the luxury of working from home which makes that easier to do) so hope that toughens my mouth as KK says.

wiredkitty

#7 Post by wiredkitty »

'Bands' ! I knew rings wasn't the right word but was in a hurry and too lazy to go find the correct word while in the middle of the reply. Guess I'll get used to the terminology soon - so much to learn!

In spite the waxing and salt water rinses, today I have tiny ulcers appearing on my cheek right next to the gum line below the bottom bands. The 'cleats' are causing them so I'll have to use more wax as I think they have still be poking through the wax I've been putting on them. And I'll increase my salt water rinses - I also wasn't using warm water origninally so the salt was just sinking to the bottom of the glass.

Thanks again KK !

wiredkitty

#8 Post by wiredkitty »

sounds like you need to bring a tent!!

Play safe and have fun!

simshell

#9 Post by simshell »

For me, it was my top teeth. I think though this was because my top teeth needed to move alot more than my bottoms did. I had a gap in my front tooth and so when they put the bands around each bracket, that really hurt. I was probably miserable for about 2 months with my braces. My whole mouth hurt, but the tops were worse. I had them both put on at the same time. Anyway, just my two cents.