Insurance coverage in Canada...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

soothsayer

Insurance coverage in Canada...

#1 Post by soothsayer »

Hey folks,

I'm looking at taking the plunge and putting on some braces at the age of 21. I've always resisted braces in the past, citing reasons like "I can still eat fine"... but, while I've convinced myself that theoretically, crooked teeth shouldn't matter at all as long as I can still eat, in practice my teeth have really hurt my confidence and self-esteem. I also seem to be genetically cursed and have struggled with bad acne, and figure that getting my teeth fixed is probably easier than getting nice skin.

Here's the question: I'm a college student, have dental insurance through the university... but to what extent (if at all) can I expect this insurance to cover braces? I don't think I can afford $5000 right now.

Thanks for the help... and man, it'd be nice to smile big again :)

hippyhippo

#2 Post by hippyhippo »

Welcome fellow Canuck! :)

With regards to your insurance, this is something you're going to have to check with your individual insurance policy, as it really can vary. Just be warned that insurance which covers adult orthodontics is typically the exception instead of the rule. And from what I recall of university dental plans, they're not exactly stellar. In other words, I wouldn't hold your breath that anything would be covered. But don't let that stop you from inquiring because you never know!

On the positive side, pretty much every ortho does not expect you to pay up front. Instead, they offer their services on a payment plan. Typically a certain percentage down, and then the rest paid over the treatment period. For example, if your treatment was $5000 CDN, you might be expected to pay $1250 up front, and then $250 a month for the next 15 months. This makes it MUCH more affordable.

Good luck!

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

soothsayer: You don't have to live with the bad acne either. I did for years and regretted not doing something about it sooner. Try over an over the counter benzoyl peroxide product, the strongest you can find. If that doesn't work go to the dermatologist and they can tell you what you need.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

soothsayer

#4 Post by soothsayer »

Hey guys.. Thanks for the replies. :D

I'm not terribly optimistic about my dental insurance covering braces.. it seems that the UBC plan covers just the basic practitioner fees.

Regarding the acne.. I have tried many, many different things, including prescription drugs. I've heard good things about benzoyl peroxide though, so maybe I'll give that a try. Unfortunately the really serious acne has left me with a number of red marks/small scars which are pretty much permanent.

One last question: Is it possible to get only top braces? My bottom teeth could use some work.. but, in terms of pure aesthetics, are never visible. Would this be much cheaper?

Heh.. I should probably be asking my dentist these questions :)

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

You can get top braces only but if your bite is off at all the ortho will not be able to adjust the bite with only one arch braces, since they usually do that with elastics going from top to bottom. It is very possible that you don't need your bite fixed but if you have serious crowding on top, straightening things out can make it go haywire. Yes, best to ask the ortho at your consult.

BTW, regarding the acne. Stick with the dermatologist. I think alot of times we get a solution and we don't stick with it. I have been there. It seems once we have another break out we give it up. Be consistent and be persistent!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

jetxness

#6 Post by jetxness »

yes, university plans don't really cover a whole lot.

perhaps the ubc dentistry faculty would be cheaper? here at u of t the waiting list for orthodontics is years long though.

unfortunatly my father's plan would only have cover 50% ortho up to age 19...so getting braces on at 21 (well record appt at 21...braces at 22...happy birthday to me :wink: ) i am on my own...sadly he was the one who thought that fixing an overbite and crowding were only cosmetic.

i would point out to you that in canada braces are tax deductible (it goes under medical expenses). also there is an additional "refundable medical expense supplement" credit you should look into (as a student i would suspect your income would be under 36 000 $ , so you would likely qualify).

so credit does equal money (i think it is less than 1000$ though) and deducting the rest may not help you right now but i think depending on your situation you can carry forward the amount to yourself in the future? i know that plan does work for tuition amounts.