Waterpik users

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bass babe

Waterpik users

#1 Post by Bass babe »

Can anybody give me any Waterpik tips to avoid turning the bathroom into Wet and Wild and oneself into a wet T-shirt contestant?

I've tried closing my lips while squirting, but can't really focus on an individual tooth that way.

Cheers

Michal

#2 Post by Michal »

I close my lips and just move it from gap to gap on my teeth. If it hurts, it's too much pressure. It will tickle on your tounge until you get used to it.

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I keep my mouth closed and do it by feel. I lean over the bathroom sink (with the plug in so I can see how much gunk I've washed out) and move the nozzle from gap to gap.
Every 10 secs or so I switch off and spit. It does take a while to get used to it but I wouldn't be without mine now!

genxsis

#4 Post by genxsis »

Don't stand completely upright, but rather lean way over the sink. That will keep you from getting all wet.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I find that if I lean over the sink all the way, face toward the drain and more or less keep my mouth open then everything spills the right way, which is down and out. Closing the mouth for me really doesn't work as the water comes out pretty fast.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Dramagyrl

#6 Post by Dramagyrl »

Everyone covered any regular advice I would give, but I do have a tip while you are learning and practicing.
The first couple times I used my Waterpik was in the shower. I got it all filled and ready before I started the shower then brought it in so it didn't matter if I got water everywhere. It got me familiar with the feeling and sensation so it's way easier over the sink now.

wiredkitty

#7 Post by wiredkitty »

I'm so jealous of you all with your waterpik's! I've only just found out (thanks to KK) what they are as we don't have them on sale in New Zealand. Only the dentists have them. I will have to buy one online and get it shipped to me.

Michal

#8 Post by Michal »

Don't forget about the Oral Jet. I have one in the shower and rocks!

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

Gennel

#9 Post by Gennel »

The first day I used the waterpik I made the BIGGEST watermess lol
I had water everywhere on the mirror,sink and counter including myself. I thought this was some cruel joke lol. I asked the hygeniest. She told me to: Look down at the sink,close your mouth and leave a little gap open on your lower lip so the water just drips straight down. Also DO NOT look at yourself in the mirror because you will spray it everwhere. Using the waterpik you can feel each tooth and pass the waterpik over gum area of the tooth and also in between the teeth. I then do the same thing on the inside of my teeth. The hygeniest said to ONLY use the waterpik on #1 or #2 . I was like OMG Ive been using it at #3 .#4 . She said since I am wearing braces and will have so much movement and my gums will either recede or get a little loose NOT to put the speed so strong because it will lift my gums off my teeth even more. So I use it at #1 for my front teeth and #2 for my back teeth.

Make sure you have it in your mouth before turning on
Make sure you turn it off before taking it out of your mouth.

Gennel
I Love my waterpik!

tamsteve

waterpik

#10 Post by tamsteve »

Boy did i make a mess when i first used it!! I still forget to close my mouth and it goes up my nose and all over the mirror!! I am getting it slowly now....i just close my mouth and guide it over each tooth. I love my waterpik!! I wish there was such a thing as a battery operated mini one to carry....that would be awesome!!

Bass babe

Belated thanks for all your tips

#11 Post by Bass babe »

Thanks for all your tips, I've tried each one and now do a variation depending on my mood, as they all work really.

I don't have vari-speed on my Waterpik, just off and on, but I have noticed a bit of sensitivity since using it. I do, however, have two types of tip, low pressure and high pressure. I accidently used the latter on first go. Gave myself a right shock!

PS: Lucyloop, nice to meet you. How's sunny Essex?