bringing teeth down --- yayyyy pics!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starbaby71

bringing teeth down --- yayyyy pics!!

#1 Post by starbaby71 »

I've always loved those smiles where all of the front teeth are the same length and that's what I really want!! Except my front teeth are longer than the others and I was wondering if it's possible to lengthen the ones beside it with braces? Or would I have to go the veneers route? I hope not! I see my ortho on Monday so I can ask him but I thought I'd get an idea here of whether it can be done or not.. I know it probably depends on my case too but atleast knowing it can be done in general helps :D

Ok I just got my pics from my Ortho so you'll see what I mean!!

Last edited by starbaby71 on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caroline

#2 Post by Caroline »

Teeht can be "stepped down" by putting bends in the archwire. In other words, instead of your archwire looking like this ------------------, the bends aimed at moving specific teeth would end up looking like this ------------\___/------------. It is something to discuss with your ortho, mind you. Hope this helped!
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Teeht can be "stepped down" by putting bends in the archwire. In other words, instead of your archwire looking like this ------------------, the bends aimed at moving specific teeth would end up looking like this ------------\___/------------. It is something to discuss with your ortho, mind you. Hope this helped!
It can also be done based on the location of the bracket on the tooth with certain wires (Nickel-Titanium for example). Extrusion is a bit more difficult than moving teeth mesially and distally but it is a common movement and will likely not be a problem.

Regards,
Rory

toothfairy

#4 Post by toothfairy »

I have an overbite (teeth extending down further than it should), and I have a bend in my upper archwire. I've only had it for a day, so not too much result there, but thought I'd add in my experience. :)

9/11/06: 1st adjustment
10/13/06: Extraction of the molar
10/16/06: 2nd adjustment
Expected treatment time: ~24 months

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

oh yeah, it can be done, my bicuspid was brought down.
But they have to take into consideration the shape of the tooth too.
Is there much of a difference in length from your centrals?
Perhaps they can sand them shorter? Or is it too much difference?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

starbaby71

#6 Post by starbaby71 »

It's not a huge difference.. I should really get the pics my ortho took so I can show you what I mean. I think if my front teeth were sanded down they might look too wide.. I had a consult with a cosmetic dentist and she told me that my other teeth were actually short whereas I always perceived my front ones as being big.. but I'll definately talk to him!! Now I'm excited hehe. Maybe it can be done :D

tamsteve

front teeth

#7 Post by tamsteve »

my ortho shaved down my two front teeth and it looks really good. He did it before he put the braces on and it did make a difference. my archwire is bent right where my two front teeth are.

starbaby71

talked to ortho..

#8 Post by starbaby71 »

I asked him about bringing my teeth down and he said that's what he's going to do YAAAAY!! he said the teeth beside the front ones are supposed to be a .5 mm shorter than the front whereas mine are 1.5 mm shorter. The bicuspids are supposed to be the same length so he's going to bring those down a bit too. He closed my gap up as well which I'm soo happy about. I think once my braces come off, I'll get gum resurfacing done and that will make a huge difference in making my teeth appear the same size. So far this has been a very good day :) The adjustment wasn't too painful and I got my bottom braces put on. I go back to see him in 4 weeks! I love my ortho, he's so nice :D

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

Yep, it can be done. I'm having certain teeth extruded (pulled up or down) to help with closing my bite.

rsprouse

#10 Post by rsprouse »

Yep, it can be done. I'm having certain teeth extruded (pulled up or down) to help with closing my bite.
Extrusion is pulled down or out of the socket, intrusion is pushed up or into the socket.

Regards,
Rory

Squeakers

#11 Post by Squeakers »

I've had my braces on two months now? I think, and after the first month, I started to notice that the teeth between my eye teeth, and my very front, started to drop down. I was so amazed, they were always much shorter than my others. It's amazing what can be done with braces, I never expected that to happen...hopefully it works great for you too!! Let us know your progress! :)