Braces and self esteem

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fantasia

Braces and self esteem

#1 Post by fantasia »

As I was browsing this site again, or more specifically, the questions on this board, I really realized, braces effect so many people's self esteem. I guess I never realized that before, even through my 2 years in braces.

When I was younger, in high school, silly me didn't want braces because I was afraid I would look 'ugly'. I was worried that guys would not find me attractive and I would never have a date. Nevermind that like half of the other kids in high school have braces themselves...LOL...I never thought about that back then.

Then when I became an adult and made the choice to get braces, it was so empowering, I never looked back. I never felt self conscious and it never affected my self esteem in a bad way. In fact, I felt BETTER about myself from the day they went on and was so proud. I knew I was doing something to better myself and that made me feel good.

The ironic thing is, I had more dates/boyfriends during the time I had braces than before!!! I never had someone of the opposite sex say anything negative about them. All I got was compliments, 'Wow, they look nice' or 'What a pretty smile you have.' I guess the moral of the story is, the way you appear to others has a lot to do with how you see yourself and not even so much about what they see. If you have the confidence and optimism, people will be drawn to you and braces don't make one iota of difference. In fact, I met my fiance when I had braces. He had never seen me without them, until last week when they came off!!!

I am happy they are off now and my teeth are nice and straight but I wouldn't trade the time in braces at all. It was a great experience for me. I got to stay a teenager a little longer. :P
Braces on: September 9, 2004
Treatment time: 2 years

rexthedestroyer

#2 Post by rexthedestroyer »

Great post. Pre braces i worried about the social effects of me being a metal mouth, but it has been 10 days and I only get good responses (minus my silly supervisor at work). Your post motivates me!

~CanadianChick~

#3 Post by ~CanadianChick~ »

What she said! :wink: :D Great post!
~Braces Added Valentines Day 2006~

jennandtonic

#4 Post by jennandtonic »

Most people don't really say anything. I get a few people who compliment my lig colors, and when I had just gotten them my coworkers were great about it, but it's really no big deal.

I do have some people who ask 'don't you want to get them off soon?' I tell them I have no idea what they mean, I want straight teeth before I get them off!

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

I do have some people who ask 'don't you want to get them off soon?' I tell them I have no idea what they mean, I want straight teeth before I get them off!

ROFL!! Yeah thats a silly comment. I had my neighbor come over and see mine the first week and ask "so do you like them?".... umm... not really, lol! I do however LOVE what they are doing for my teeth. :)
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

jennandtonic

#6 Post by jennandtonic »

KJM said:

ROFL!! Yeah thats a silly comment. I had my neighbor come over and see mine the first week and ask "so do you like them?".... umm... not really, lol! I do however LOVE what they are doing for my teeth. :)
Exactly, KJM! I'm sure no-one loves having the braces themselves, we just love the idea of straight teeth![/b]

Daveyboy

#7 Post by Daveyboy »

Yep, a great post!

On the whole self esteem issue i'd like to add my input. At 21 I went to see a facial surgeon as I wasn't happy with my profile, he recommended braces, and lower jaw advancement possibly combined with a genioplasty.

Being vain, and not wanting braces I went ahead with only the genioplasty. However although i'm now happy with my appearance, i'm about to get braced and have the lower advancement in order to fix my bite!

So the lesson learnt is to look at the big picture! If I had had the courage 4 years ago to go for it, i'd be 2 years into a perfect bite and profile! Thats the way i'm looking at it now.

For anyone thinking of getting braces/been told they should get them, just do it! You won't regret it!!!

Dave

tardissauce

#8 Post by tardissauce »

As soon as I got my front braces on I called the boyfriend for the "test" - I wanted to know his very initial reaction to my braces. So called him and met him for coffee and the first thing he said was "ooooohhhh my gowd you are soooo cute!, I can't wait to take you to a bar!" (I am in my mid 30's but even without braces I look about 12) - He passed the test with flying colors! Needless to say after that, I never looked back!

beach_babe

#9 Post by beach_babe »

I agree that it does depend on how you feel on the inside!!! I meet my wonderful boyfriend with them on and we fell in love. I later asked him if they bothered him and he replied I don't really notice them just you and you're beautiful. He's looking forward to seeing me without them and the payments every month!

psychic

#10 Post by psychic »

i agree with you fantasia... i always felt self conscious about my teeth, but never had the "guts" to get braced... 'till now, at the age of 29...

I feel proud of my choice, and i don't have no problems with this, i "show off" my braces, 'cos i'm always laughing, and my closest friend are always asking me about the progresses and want to see my new "gadgets" and lig colors!!

I think this is an investement in my future looks and health!

Metal Braces