Unexpected benefit of having braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rexthedestroyer

Unexpected benefit of having braces

#1 Post by rexthedestroyer »

Before I was braced I use to be a nail biter. Nervous habit I guess. I have been braced for 11 days now and I have yet to touch my finger nails. Well I tried, but it just hurt too much. I am going to have to invest in a nail clipper.

GatorGirl

#2 Post by GatorGirl »

I know what you mean...I try but it just doesnt work...and hurts lol. I guess its a good thing.

ShinySmile

#3 Post by ShinySmile »

haha, this drives me insane! I still try, and it just doesn't work when you have braces...I guess it's a good thing, though. :lol:

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I gave up nailbiting decades ago, so no benefits there.

What I'm really looking forward to is being able to tear sticky tape with my teeth. My OH can do that and I'm so jealous!

Pirate Wench

#5 Post by Pirate Wench »

I am happy to say that it has broken my habit of chewing my fingers and lips. I have never been a huge nail bitter, but I was always chewing the skin around my fingers (especially my thumbs) and my lips (especially in the winter when it is dry). Since I got my braces I have tried lots of times, but I can't bite anything off.....not even a hang-nail! :thumbsup:

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

Rex that's a terrible habit. But I'm glad you made it clear we're talking finger nails here and not toe nails!!!!!!

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gunter8888

#7 Post by gunter8888 »

Been an ortho patient for about 2 weeks. Been a nailbiter for 30 years. For the first time in many, many years I had to clip my nails yesterday. While I am not real good w/ the clippers, it felt good to have nails long enough to need clipping.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

tardissauce

#8 Post by tardissauce »

You guys read my mind, I was just thinking about this today! I tried and tried to finagle my way into my mouth with a hangnail, but it is not going to happen. I finally gave up and went for the clippers and thought "well thats going to put an end to that nasty habit" - so yes, very good benefit indeed.

Tin Indian

#9 Post by Tin Indian »

:D Well, I just found another upside to getting braces. Just hope my fingernails can ajust not being in my mouth for a while . Might as get'm down to the nubs while I can!( LOL)Just Kidding.
Tin Indian- Metal mouth to be 9/01/06/ 8:00am

rexthedestroyer

#10 Post by rexthedestroyer »

Well I got to work today and decided to use my sissor (bad spelling!) to cut my finger nails. Using the left hand to cut the nails on the right hand was definitely a task, but I am rexthedestroyer and no task is too difficult. One problem is that fingernails were flying all over the place. I was only able to find one of them. Well I guess it will be up to the cleaning people to clean up the rest of my DNA.

gunter8888

#11 Post by gunter8888 »

Anyone else still put their hand/fingers to your mouth only to rediscover that the nail chomper is out of commission?

I just did it as I was reading these posts. Guess I am a little slow. :roll:
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces