Salt Water rinse question! :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShinySmile

Salt Water rinse question! :)

#1 Post by ShinySmile »

Hey guys,

Do salt water rinses work for pain caused by the PRESSURE from the braces, or just the cuts and sores in the gums/cheeks? I got my bottom braces Friday, and the tension and pressure hurts a LOT! :?

P.S. icepacks seem to work well for awhile when you need a little relief, along with tylenol! :wink:

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

Betty Bat

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

I thought this was a very interesting question because it points out that there are two types of pain associated with braces. The first is the mechanical one, because your brackets and/or your wire are irritating something in your mouth or poking your cheek. The second one is the pain of having your teeth move around - I think Lynn refers to this as feeling like you were hit in the mouth.

I must admit that I can understand how salt water rinses would help the first kind of pain, but I'm not sure how much they could do for the second type of pain.

wiredkitty

#3 Post by wiredkitty »

As well as painkillers, my ortho recommend ice cold drinks and ice cream for pain. Apparently the wire softens when cold which eases the tension. I find a tall glass of gin and tonic with lots of ice is the best remedy!!

Good luck and definitely do the salt water washes too. I've had my braces on a week and a half and the tension pain is gone but my mouth is still getting used to the metal invasion so the wax and salt water helps with that.

ShinySmile

#4 Post by ShinySmile »

I have one of the wires activated by heat, but I find taking a shower with heat and steam helps a lot with discomfort...but so do my ice packs, so I'm not sure temperature has a lot to do with either in my case. :lol:

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented