How often do you use your water pick?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Zondrae

How often do you use your water pick?

#1 Post by Zondrae »

I just got my first water jet & so far it looks like a great investment!

A few questions for those of you with experience:

How often per day can you use it? Can you use it after you eat to flush all the debris away? Or only one good go a day?

Do you add anything to the water tank like mouthwash or peroxide solution?

Can you suggest any tips to get the job done right?

Thanks in advance. :D

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

Since I had perio problems with tartar buildup. It was all removed ,thank God.

My hygeniest told me to put a capful of Peroxide in the little water tank.

At first I used it once a day. But I love how much stuff it gets out of my teeth that I use it 2-3 times a day.

The only thing that the hygeniest told me to PLEASE DO, is to only use it on #1 or #2 speed. Since you are in braces that means teeth movement and gums that are being stretched and sometimes recede. If you use it at #3 or higher you can actually lift your gums off of your teeth.

She said my kids should use it once everynight with some flouride mouthwash in it. Only about a capful.

Gennel

Way Too Old For This

#3 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I use mine (with warm water) at least once a day but sometimes several. Hubby likes to put mouthwash in his but I gag on the foam it makes in my mouth.

Hubby uses the tank version as high as it will go. He had gum problems until he started using it and now he's back on the every 6 month cleaning regime. My hygenist said to keep up whatever it was I was doing. I turn it down a click or two when I'm doing my gums but then turn it up to its highest to sort of pressure wash my brackets. Then I turn it pretty low to massage above my gum line. This part feels really good after adjustments when everything is sore.

The tank version blasts the water a LOT stronger than the cordless. I have both kinds and there is no comparison. I can't imagine the cordless model causing any damage even with the stronger nozzle.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

The ones generally on sale in the UK only have one speed, but they have 2 nozzles supplied, one of which is supposedly gentler.

I tend to use it once a day at the beginning of my thorough nightly cleaning routine and to date I have just used water (warm, as cold is toooooo much). Occasionally i will use it during the day if i feel particularly clogged up with whatever I've eaten. Bread is about the worst I find, and I always need the Waterpik after a sandwich.

I might try the HP additive though.

tamsteve

water pik

#5 Post by tamsteve »

i use my waterpik alot!! It has been a life saver since the braces! When I eat i go use my waterpik. It gets all the food off! I'm glad i read not to put it up to high, i was useing mine pretty high....enjoy your waterpik :lol:

texbrace

#6 Post by texbrace »

I use my waterpik 5-6 times a day. its by far the best money spent in terms of oral hygeine. :D

sweet19bluesx

#7 Post by sweet19bluesx »

Thank you for the advice about using it on the low setting! I've been using my waterpik with the high pressure pick on a high setting for the last 2 weeks now, and I was freaking out yesterday because i noticed when i was flossing that even in that short span my gums were receding and not bouncing back as usual... :?

katmc_tx

#8 Post by katmc_tx »

Gennel wrote:
The only thing that the hygeniest told me to PLEASE DO, is to only use it on #1 or #2 speed. Since you are in braces that means teeth movement and gums that are being stretched and sometimes recede. If you use it at #3 or higher you can actually lift your gums off of your teeth.

Gennel
So I'm guessing its bad if you lift your gums off of your teeth. I think I did that on one of my back molars. Will it heal, should I do something to help it along or what should I expect? From now on I will only use my waterpik on a low setting!!
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

rdms_girl

#9 Post by rdms_girl »

I used my "waterpik" attachment (part of my Oral B electirc toothbrush stand) for the first time today after eating Ritz crackers and it worked like a dream :) I mixed warm water with a little bit of Listerine and blasted the heck out of all of the leftover gunk - unfortunately, since it was my first time using it the bathroom mirror and sink area was a complete mess!!! :jokerlaugh:

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

you can have healthy gums again if they got detatched from your teeth. In fact I had deep cleaning/scaling done for tartar buildup and I had several pockets in the gums. I have noticed a difference but will find out for sure in January when I'm scheduled for a regular cleaning.Right now I use a little peroxide in the waterpik because I noticed rapid movement on mylower teeth within 2 hrs of getting lower braces.

Gennel

hathetran

#11 Post by hathetran »

hmm..now i want one