Front teeth gaps

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lildave

Front teeth gaps

#1 Post by lildave »

Hello all!! I'm currently in braces, 20 months now, and my two front teeth overlapped before. Now I MAY get my braces off tommorow, trying not to get to excited but sure hope it happens!, and my two front teeth have a little gap towards the top. Is this normal?? Has anyone else had this happen to them? My dentist has just told me "It adds Character".

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!

rexthedestroyer

#2 Post by rexthedestroyer »

That sound like baloney to me. Don't let your doc take them off until YOU are happy with the results. Character is him doing a good job on your teeth and not taking the braces off before the job is done. Like Kiwi said it will be a lot tougher to get things corrected once the braces are off. Can you post a pic? keep is posted.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Yep, I've got a gap between the upper part of my front teeth where there was none before. I'm not fussed by it, but also not sure if it's just a transitional thing or here to stay for good.

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

It is possible that you would have to compromise the aesthetics to have an ideally functional result. Orthodontics are give and take like so much else in life. Have you talked to a GP about bonding if the "gap" bothers you?

Regards,
Rory

lildave

#5 Post by lildave »

First off; Thanks for all the replies!! :)

Yes I have spoke with my dentist about this issue and that's when he said "It adds character". We've been working on this gap issue for about 4 months now. Mostly me complaining and they saying there's nothing they can do. :? I didn't beleive this answer I just told my dentist to sand off in between my two front teeth. The gap did get smaller but because of my tooth shape they said there was nothing else they could do. Has anyone else been told this?? This sounded fishey to me too but I have no say in what they do I suppose.

I asked about my gum growing back and they said it probably won't. They said my only other choice is probably veneers. Those are too much money for me!

Just word of advice for those out there: DO NOT get your ortho treatment done by an in-expereinced dentist!! I'm 99% satisfied with my teeth, a lot straighter than they were before, but still I've got that gap!

tardissauce

#6 Post by tardissauce »

My two front teeth are also overlapped. However, even before the ortho began they informed me that my gums would probably show a small gap up at the top (small triangle area) between my two teeth. They asked if this was OK even before they started the work on my mouth. I would rather have that teensy tiny gap (it will probably only be noticeable cause I'm not used to it) than have teeth all over the place which is what I have now.

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

I had one but it seems to be gone now with the help of power chains. I wouldn't doubt to see it open back up once the power chains are off.

My ortho warned me that if we closed that gap in between my two front teeth that a new gap or gaps could appear with the teeth on the other side (my laterals). He may do IPR on them but I am not sure if that is going to happen.

The best advice that I can give you is to look at your smile from about 5 feet away and see if you can see the gap. I think alot of times we are looking real close up in the mirror and no one will ever see us that way. I tend to stare at my teeth from about 6 inch - 1 foot away in a 3X or 5X mirror. God help me if any one I know ever sees my teeth that close up!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

rsprouse

#8 Post by rsprouse »

Question: if it's just a little triangle at the top, due to the shape of the teeth (and they are close together for most of their length) is there a chance that post-debanding the gums might grow back down (part way, at least) into this gap? I know our gums do tend to get a little bit disrupted by all this ortho treatment.
It depends (don't you just love that answer? :D ) So it is possible for a healthy papilla to fill in the space some, but it all depends on bone level. Predictable papilla growth occurs around a maximum of 5-6 mm above the crest of ridge (bone around your tooth). If you have a high contact point then you will likely have a diastema. There are tricks out there to lower the contact point with IPR or bonding to fill in the space with healthy tissue. But the teeth in question are likely contacting at their current point for a reason and the original poster may need some cosmetic work or to compromise in their treatment. As always, you should discuss any concerns with your treating clinician. Most problems can be quickly remedied with an open line of conversation.

Regards,
Rory

kayla4644

#9 Post by kayla4644 »

well, sometimes they just cant close gaps with the way the teeth are and the shape

i have that problem near my right laterals

and im getting my braces off soon, and if ur not 100% happy i suggest maybe getting it bonded

thats what i plan on doing after my treatment
Always listen to your heart, cause even though it's on your left, it's always right.

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

I was braced 2+ months ago and had my front tooth way overlapping the other front tooth. Because of having them overlapped for so many years my two front teeth are totally different shape ,same length but different shape. Now I have a pretty big gap that is all the way down from top to bottom. They are not overlapped anymore! I know they will use powerchains for those front teeth later on. I will most likely have the "black triangle" gap on the top in my front teeth. Honestly I am so happy that they are not overlapping anymore that if I stay with the little gap triangle on top I will be very satisfied.

If you are not happy at all with the little gap. Try and get a second opinion at another orthodontist to see what he/she thinks can be done to close it with the braces. If 1-2 orthos give you the same answer as your current ortho then you might have to consider something like bonding which is not as expensive at all compared to veneers. My neighbor has bonding on most of her front teeth and I would have NEVER guessed it! Her teeth look awesome!

Gennel

lildave

#11 Post by lildave »

Well I got them off Tuesday!!! It was definitly an exciting time!! It took no time at all to get them off really!

There is a little gap towards the top of my teeth but its honestly nothing to crazy. Thanks for the help all!!

Gennel

#12 Post by Gennel »

Congrats on debracing! Please post pics when you get a chance!!

:D

Gennel

chops

#13 Post by chops »

hey all, I have a black triangle too, a pretty severe one. I could have had more sanding, but I decided to just get my braces off next month because I'm sick and tired of having them on.

now I'm having a bit of 2nd thoughts, although I prob will just get them off anyways. you guys speak of 'bonding'....what is it exactly? is it the same thing along the lines of a filling? and does it cost as much as a filling? they don't sand your teeth down to a peg like veneers, right?

I think if by next month I notice food gets caught in my black triangle, then I will opt for bonding if it's unnoticeable and not crazy expensive.

ps. bonding is done by dentist right? nor ur ortho?

lildave

#14 Post by lildave »

I got mine of a bit early as well. Between work and college and the times my ortho had; I could never get in there when he was!

I've actually noticed my little gap towards the top has actually closed up more now that the braces are off. I've been out of them for about 1 month now and it's been worth it!! I love my new smile!

I've heard from numerous people that have had small gaps once braces were removed and that there was nothing else that could be done. Be careful with the sanding because it might even make your teeth look crooked! Mine started to get that way and I said "whoa no more sanding guys".

As for bonding, I go see a dentist for my treatment so I think it is a dentist who does the bonding. Problem; if you whiten your teeth the bonding will not whiten. In pictures and close ups of my face; you can't even see the little gap. Hope I helped!

jcdamon3

#15 Post by jcdamon3 »

If you have not had the sanding done before you may want to try it. The gaps literally close up in a few weeks. If you are like lildave though and have already had it you may want to put the brakes on as well.

Anyhow the bonding is just like a filling. I have heard that some orthos do it but the dentists do it too. It is probably around $200.00. They don't file your teeth down like with veneers.

I have a few gaps and like lildave - you have to be pretty close up to see them. Here's to hoping no one but my dentist and ortho never see my mouth that close up :-)
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!