prevident gel

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweet19bluesx

prevident gel

#1 Post by sweet19bluesx »

I just picked up some prevident from the pharmacy but what my dentist told me and the box directions were differing so I was just wondering, does everybody else just brush with it like a normal toothpaste and just not rinse with water for 30 minutes? Thank you~

Blonde_Metal04

#2 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

I have never used it, but I would say to go with your dentists advice..
I get migraines, and my doctor often times tells me to take different doses of OTC meds than what it says on the box... It sounds to me like the method the dentist is giving you will most likely just benefit you more than the box directions!
Hope this helps!
Spacers: 08/09/2006

starryadora

#3 Post by starryadora »

I have bad tooth sensitivity and my dentist prescribed Prevident 5000 Plus for me. I use it twice a day and brush for at least 2 minutes with the Sonicare toothbrush and don't rinse, drink, or eat for 30 minutes afterwards. It is EXTREMELY high in flouride, so it shouldn't be used after each and every meal a bunch of times a day for those of us that brush several times a day due to braces.

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

starryadora

#4 Post by starryadora »

Oh, and by the way...you do NOT need to use very much on your toothbrush. One tube should last you many months!

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

rsprouse

#5 Post by rsprouse »

You should follow the instructions given to you by your clinician. Typically Prevident is scripted for use 2x per day but I sometimes do 1x per day. It will depend on the reason you got it (high carries risk, sensitivity, etc). Prevident has 4+ times the sodium fluoride as most OTC toothpastes. The important thing is to work it well against all tooth surfaces and make sure you spit it all out. Then no food or drink for at least 30 minutes. Always much easier to do right before bed.

Good Luck,
Rory