Meds & braces...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Caroline

#1 Post by Caroline »

The worst for me is trying to swallow with retainers in: pills always tend to get caught somewhere... I had never experienced this with the braces.

Lucy, as a side note, why are you taking furosemide on a regular basis?
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

susieq182

#2 Post by susieq182 »

i take rozerem (sp) its a tiny pill about the size of a grain of rice. I use a straw and that seems to work best. also putting it on my tounge w/o any water then taking a sip helps me because it goes right down instead of taking the drink first and tossing the pill in and having the pill sort of float around. if i got my vote i wouldnt take meds at all, but if not having migrains means taking a pill once a day i guess sign me up.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I take HRT (post hysterectomy), and St John's Wort and a 5-HTP supplement to keep depression at bay (I'm fed up with prescription antidepressants)

The SJW and 5-HTP are quite big but the HRT tablet is only little. I haven't noticed any problems taking any of them though, but I've taken meds of one kind or another since I was 17 and I guess I'm just used to it.

I make sure I have a huge swig of water and it just washes them all down.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Lucy - a tip we used to use when I worked in the old peoples' home when some of the old people had trouble swallowing small tablets was to put them inside a little piece of bread. It gives the tongue and throat muscles more to grip onto. It disguises the taste too as they don't dissolve in your mouth.

I've tried it myself when I used to do shift work and would sometimes take Zopiclone (a disgusting tasting sleeping tablet). It tasted so vile it would sometimes make me sick. But putting it in a piece of bread helped because it got to my stomach before it dissolved.

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I use a straw and that seems to work best. also putting it on my tounge w/o any water then taking a sip helps me because it goes right down instead of taking the drink first and tossing the pill in and having the pill sort of float around.
This is how I have always done it and didn't know there was another way. I have never had any trouble. I also put the pill as far back on the tongue as I can get it.

I still don't like taking pills of any kind though. Even vitamins - I get the chewable kind.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

hippyhippo

#6 Post by hippyhippo »

It's only been one day since I've been braced, but I've been popping pills left and right today so I feel qualified to answer for myself. Anyways, the verdict is no problem so far in small, medium, or large pills (my vitamins are huge!). But I've always had an easy time with pills. I just need a sip of water, and I'm good. And for small pills, I often don't even need water.

Sorry to hear that it's been causing you difficulties!

Harpua

Feel your pain

#7 Post by Harpua »

I have a TPA in the roof of my mouth with just enough space for a medium sized pill to get stuck there. It sucks and I have no good solutions, but to do my best to avoid the thing with the pill. Somehow the way I swallow it just pushes it up there. I have had to stick my finger in there plenty of times to jar it lose while it is dissolving in my mouth. So maybe you'll feel better to know somebody has it worse than you:)

Dramagyrl

#8 Post by Dramagyrl »

I'm terrible at taking pills and my gag reflux kicks in the second I can taste it melting on my tongue.
My trick is to have a drink in one hand and place the pill onto the back of my tongue so that I can follow with the drink right away. I take a couple of nice, big swallows first thing and the pill usually goes right down with the first gulp.

hathetran

#9 Post by hathetran »

dont worry...i think you'll get used to them and you'll be fine