Instead of...............

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cor1

Instead of...............

#1 Post by Cor1 »

Hi everyone, quick question, is there anything else out there or at home that one could use INSTEAD OF the warm salt water rinse, because what I have been noticing is that my lipps seem to be getting a reaction to it, they have been feeling like they are sun burnt all the time (and trust me I am the queen of chapstick, blistex, lipstick)!!!! :D :D So I know my lips aren't dry or not being protected, so I have stopped using the rinses and they seem to feel like their old lippy selves again...........

Can anyone make another suggestion??

Thanks,

Cor1

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Personally I only use salt rinses if I have sore spots. I don't do them every day (I hate salt)
Salt does have a hydrophilic (I think that's the right word) effect so it will suck water out of the tissues it comes into contact with.

If you want to carry on with the rinses, how about putting some Vaseline or something on your lips beforehand, to form a barrier so that the salt water doesn't dry your lips out? Or make sure you rinse your kips straight after with some clean fresh water, so that the salt isn't lying on your lips and drying them out.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm glad the salt works for you and others here Karen. :) I personally detest the taste of salt (it makes me want to throw up) so I guess that's why I tend not to use it unless I really have to.

Having said that i will grit my teeth and rinse if I feel a sore spot coming!

starryadora

#4 Post by starryadora »

You could go to the store and buy a rinse called Rinsinol (I believe that is how the name is spelled). I got a free sample of it when i got braced and it is basically a fancy rinse that does what the saltwater rinse does. Pricey, but may be worth it for you.

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~