First Adjustment Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

First Adjustment Question

#1 Post by Paws917 »

I am going for my first adjustment on Friday. What should I expect?

Erin

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Paws, as KK says, we're all different. You can expect anything from very little to a fair bit. At my first adjustment, I had my lowers placed and an upper wire change. There were a few days of adjusting to the new stuff, but then it was back to normal.

Paws917

#3 Post by Paws917 »

Do you all take some ibuprofen before going for an adjustment or do you just wait to see how things go?

Erin

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

haha keeping some with you is a smart thing, you never know if your going to need it for pain cause of braces or headaches but its always nice to have some with you, another thing DON'T CARRY PRESCRIPTION MEDS WITH YOU, you get pulled over by a cop its considered possesion of an illegal substance even though your name is on the perscription bottle.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

well thats what I was taught in criminal justice, I also asked the quesitons you concerned about, officers have been trained about those types of meds and know that its a concern for the people that need to have those prescription drugs. I just know that you have to have more then one form of ID when carrying your prescription meds, drivers licence and social security card, not sure if its different for states but I'll find out eventually and let you know.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Kimber

#6 Post by Kimber »

That's crazy. How is it an illegal substance if I have a legal prescription for it? I'm pretty sure all they really care about though is narcotics and such. (and don't care your social security card with you in case your wallet gets stolen -- all the fun stuff we have to worry about now!)

On my first adjustment, I got a new top archwire and new ligs. Still didn't have the bottoms in then. On the second appt, I got the bottoms put on and all they did was replace the ligs on the top. I did take some tylenol before the appointment. Not sure if it helped. I didn't have much pain right after the adjustment but I might not have even if I hadn't taken anything.
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

I hope I never get bailed up for swigging vitamins....

I don't take painkillers before an adjustment, tend to wait and see what happens. Mostly, I don't need them thankfully.

juf_84

#8 Post by juf_84 »

Hi and good luck with your first adjustment.

My adjustment was pretty quick and fairly painless- I had to bite down, my ortho felt how my bite was going, and then he snipped my wire, popped open all my brackets, and put new wires on. I found it painful when he was applying pressure to close my brackets, but mine are self-ligating, so if you have ligs, it may be different.

I took some OTC pain meds beforehand, and my teeth were tender for a week or so- just be kind to your mouth!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

braced4asmile

#9 Post by braced4asmile »

Like you said, everyone is different. Also, I'm sure it depends on how much they do at the first adjustment. I had mine yesterday. They tugged on a tooth to get it attached to the wire. I took 2 Ibuprofens before and 2 after and then a painkiller at night. I am sore this morning, but it's due to the tugging of that tooth, not the "adjustment". If you want to do it as pain free as possible, take a couple OTC pills before.

Good luck on Friday! Hope to see pics soon!

Anxious to be debanded 4/23/08!