Allergic to nickel

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cbushnaq

Allergic to nickel

#1 Post by cbushnaq »

Has anyone had an allergic reaction to the nickel that is used in the archwire?

Thanks,
Cindy

cbushnaq

#2 Post by cbushnaq »

I will not have them put on until Sept 6th. What type of allergic reaction did your sister have? I have found that I am sensitive to some jewelry that has nickel in it. I think it might have something to do with the amount of nickel in it.

Pirate Wench

#3 Post by Pirate Wench »

I am allergic to jewlery as well. I can only wear gold to I break out in a rash.

I told my ortho about the allergy before the brackets were placed and he asked if I wanted to try the regular archwires and switch if I started to have a problem. He said usually you will start to react to them right away. He said usually your gums will get swollen and your lips could get puffy.

I agreed to try the regular archwires first. So far I haven't had any kind of reactions. I have had them for over 2 months and had 2 different archwires.

Hopefully, you don't have any issues with the archwires if you use the regular archwires.

Good luck.

Way Too Old For This

#4 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Interesting. I am very allergic to jewelry. Especially on my neck. I didn't think I was allergic to my braces but this post got me thinking because everytime I get a teeny tiny scratch on the inside of my lips they swell up so big I can't hardly talk. I mean I look like I got punched right in the mouth. It usually lasts about 3 days. And I can taste the metal in my mouth almost all the time.

Haven't noticed my gums getting swollen though. Come to think of it, I get the swollen lip thing after every arch wire change. Hmmmm.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Alison

#5 Post by Alison »

Hi..

strangely enough...Im really allergic to metals in everything too, buttons, earrings, jewelry, clasps on shoes and sandals etc...I can only wear pure silver and gold...

But when I wore braces apart from the usual initial soreness when first being fitted with a brace I never had any problems with my archwire or brackets?

Good Luck with yours! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BRACED - 21ST JUNE 2004
BRACE REMOVED- 11TH APRIL 2005
STARTED WEARING A RETAINER - 14TH APRIL 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sarah22

#6 Post by Sarah22 »

Well I'm allergic to Nickle and was very worried about the metal in my mouth. My ortho consulted a lot of other experts and they all agreed that it was ok to put metal with nickle in it in my mouth as the mouth is not a place where allergic reactions like that occur, only on the skin.

So I got normal archwire and so far so good, no hassle.

Idislikebraces

#7 Post by Idislikebraces »

I'm allergic to Nickle nd my ortho put clear ceramics on top nd metal on bottom nd no irritation has happened! I've had em for a yr! :shock: 8)
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

Silverwolftec2006

Nickel and allergies

#8 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

When I went to my Ortho office they put me in Titanium wires and they have to use non-latex based gloves because of my allergies to latex. Because I have nickel related allergies noted in my medical file they used special metal brackets that were designed for persons with metal allergies and I have had absolutely no problems..
Dare to Dream. Work hard to Succeed. Remember to smile!!
It makes people wonder what you are up to!

[/url]