swimming and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Izzy

swimming and braces

#1 Post by Izzy »

Before being braced I had taken a rather lengthy break in my swimming due to some health issues. Fortunately, I’m fine now and have started swimming again.

I am amazed at how dry my mouth is after my workouts! It seems that my wires and brackets just stick to the inside of my mouth when I get out of the pool. I’m using wax again for the irritation.

I have been doing shorter workouts, but will be in the pool for 1 to 1.5 hours 3 days a week starting in September. Has anyone experienced this dry mouth with swimming? Any suggestions to make things better?

Thanks.
braced on July 12, 2006

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Hi izzy,

I swim 3-4 times a week, some of that with a squad. I work out for around 1-1.5 hours a session.

I notice a bit of "bracket suction" while in the water, but I think the dry mouth syndrome is no worse than it was pre-braces. What I did have to get used to was swimming with linguals: backstroke was particularly hideous at first because I found that my tongue was scraping the brackets with every breath I took! Horrible. I used a lot of wax in the early days until my tongue toughened up.

Like KK, I keep a water bottle handy and have always done because one gets pretty dehydrated, even when swimming.