Orthodontics Expense

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

Orthodontics Expense

#1 Post by Paws917 »

I have only had my braces on since July 14th and today I went for my first adjustment. I have ceramics and regular metal. I'm not having any extractions or spacers or any of that fancy stuff. My teeth are widely spaced and I have an overbite, so as far as orthodontics are concerned, my problems are pretty simple.

So anyway, I got finished with my adjustment today and I began to wonder what it is about my orthodontia that costs $5000. I mean the little brackets and archwires can't possibly be that expensive and the ligs and chains are made of rubber. I know the doc's time is worth money, but he probably spent two minutes tops with me today!

I am not whining or complaining --- just wondering exactly what it is about orthodontia that makes it so expensive. Have any of you wondered that too after you began experiencing it?

Erin

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

Hate to say it, but I'd pay 2 or 3 times as much as that if it meant straight beautiful teeth. Worth every penny.

Paws917

#3 Post by Paws917 »

Oh, I agree completely and since I'm not even paying for my orthodontic treatment, I'm certainly not complaining. Just wondering what the big expense is -- maybe it's some part of the treatment that I haven't encountered yet.

Erin

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

As far as I know you spend a few thousand on just the materials used and the time, then the orthodontist adds extra to pay for there time with you and just go for getting the new convertable they wanted :)

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Paws917

#5 Post by Paws917 »

:-*

Kimber

#6 Post by Kimber »

You're paying for their student loans. Here's what the American Assn of Orthodontics says:

"Orthodontists are qualified dentists, who after graduating from dental school, go on to additional full-time university-based education in an accredited orthodontic residency program supervised by orthodontists. That training lasts at least two to three academic years—sometimes more. By learning about tooth movement (orthodontics) and guidance of facial development (dentofacial orthopedics), orthodontists are the uniquely educated experts in dentistry to straighten teeth and align jaws."

So that's 2-3 years on top of the 8 it takes to get a dental degree.
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

missing_tooth

Re: Orthodontics Expense

#7 Post by missing_tooth »

I am not whining or complaining --- just wondering exactly what it is about orthodontia that makes it so expensive. Have any of you wondered that too after you began experiencing it? Erin
I never really wondered about it, but I did think about it. Knowledge costs money, and so does the use of that knowledge. As with any profession, services are almost never free and usually tied to the amount of education one has. You want an expert? It's going to cost.

- Missing Tooth -

Paws917

#8 Post by Paws917 »

Yeah, but what if your orthodontist graduated last in his class? :lol:

Erin

Kimber

#9 Post by Kimber »

oops, there's another thing to ask at that consult -- can I see your complete school transcripts? LOL :wink:
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

jaswi

#10 Post by jaswi »

I dont think dentist is an eight year degree, almost certain.

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

In the UK it takes a total of 13 years to become a fully trained consultant orthodontist, so that's where your money goes. You're paying for his skills.

rsprouse

#12 Post by rsprouse »

I dont think dentist is an eight year degree, almost certain.
Do get a DDS or DMD you need a 4 year college degree followed by 4 years of Dental School. Then any additional training that you may have (AEGD, GPR, etc). Then to become an Orthodontist you will spend another 2-3 years in school to specialize. And of course there are some people that get a masters or other training in there. So to be a Dr. you need a minimum of 8 years of schooling.

Regards,
Rory

hippyhippo

#13 Post by hippyhippo »

I can second the "you're paying for their schooling" comments. Next fall is my 10 year high school reunion, and I know a bunch of my classmates are still in school because of their professional goals. My one friend just became a dentist last year, which would have been, yup, 8 years of full time school. If he was going to be an orthodontist he'd still be in school now.

Also, dentistry isn't exactly a glamourous field. You really couldn't pay me enough to have to go look into other people's mouths all day. Especially since many many many people out there completely neglect their teeth and have rotting gums, extreme decay, bad halitosis... Ugh! :yuck:

Paws917

#14 Post by Paws917 »

But those people don't go to the dentist! :lol:

Actually, I think there are lots worse fields in medicine -- gynecologist, podiatrist and proctologist to name a few. When I used to ride the subway to work, I'd look around at some of the people and think, "Boy, I'd sure hate to be YOUR doctor and have to poke around all YOUR nooks and crannies!" I can only hope that most people shower and brush their teeth before heading off for an appointment.

Erin

Lisa65

#15 Post by Lisa65 »

They do go to the dentist though! When the pain of rotting teeth gets so bad that even THEY can't stand it. So the poor dentist gets the worst of it.

But I agree with you about gynaecologists and procologists having a worse deal. :? You wouldn't catch me poking about in somebody's nooks and crannies. If I'd had the brains to go to medical school I wouldn't have chosen any of those disciplines! :lol: