Braces for me on 13 Sept 06

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

diande

Braces for me on 13 Sept 06

#1 Post by diande »

Hello everyone,

I am so glad to have found this site which has been set as my homepage!

I finally scheduled an appt with an Orthdontist on 29 Aug and decided to get impressions done the same day. The braces should be in on 13 Sept. assuming that all goes well at the dentist when I'm supposed to have some fillings done on Sept 5. As for the braces, I decided to make the huge sacrifice of paying an additional total of TT$3,600 (but only about US$576 if I got paid in US to spend in my country!) for aesthetic (ceramic) braces top and bottom. Altogether it should cost about TT$25,600...that is crazy (and the reason why my parents couldn't fix our bad teeth as kids).

I'm 24 and just eager to fix my teeth NOW rather than later. Est. treatment is 1 year. I have an overbite, spaces all over the front top and bottom, and even the lower front teeth lean outwards a bit. I have always wanted to be one of those people who smile continually when they talk and who smile a lot, in reality I've always been so self-conscious that even around the closest friends I feel restrained and with strangers and people at work I feel so bad when they are staring at my teeth! Lower my head, use my hands to hide...the whole 9 yards.

God is so awesome! I'm so thankful for the day I get braces! Yes, thankful in advance! LOL

florencegal

#2 Post by florencegal »

Hey diande! Welcome to the boards, I'm so grateful to have come across this site too and don't know how my nerves would have coped in recent months without it!

Wow - that's really quick moving between getting your impressions done and your scheduled brace date. Great stuff! Best to get on and get moving on this exciting journey! I wish you much luck, fun and pride in your treatment and with your great positive attitude I'm sure it'll be a breeze.

I'm 25 and completely identify with everything you've said about hiding your mouth and never wanting to flash a great big smile. I hate for anyone to look at my mouth and if anyone ever starts a discussion about teeth I try to run away asap... Like you, I just want to remedy this sooner rather than later - I don't want to get to age 60 and realise I've spent a lifetime trying not to smile. That's not a good way to be for anyone.

I had a really odd but illuminating thought not long ago at a friend's wedding too - this will probably sound really weird but I was hit with the realisation that I will never want to get married with my teeth the way they are now. Isn't that the weirdest thought?! But completely true - so now I just need to sort my teeth and then comes the hard part, finding the groom lol :wink: :jokerlaugh:

diande

#3 Post by diande »

thank you both for the welcome and the advice!

florencegal, guess what surprised me the most about ur reply?...my bf wants us to get married in may 07 and i am hoping for a wedding in november 07! i didnt plan this, but 'coincidentally', it DID occur to me how perfect november would be in the instant the orthodontist said '1 year' because I DO NOT WANT MY TEETH AS THEY ARE NOW IN MY WEDDING PICS!!! and I definitely want to smile all day long!!!

meryaten, i am going to be using every bit of that advice, thank u for passing it on. i didn't know there was so much to know!

how long have you two been in braces/unbraced?

P.s. meryaten, yes that is Trinidad!

p.p.s. What are the reasons that some people put on one row of braces before the other?
Last edited by diande on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Meryaten wrote:Well, welcome aboard, diande! It's great that you're so excited about getting underway with braces!

Since KK's off on holiday, I'll remind you of her standard advice for brace-day:

Use plenty of lip balm, so your lips won't dry out and be sore from the lip spreader.
Don't forget to make a quick toilet stop right before your appointment - helps make sure the extended time in the chair is as comfortable as possible
Don't be shy to use wax, whenever anything starts to chafe to prevent your mouth getting sore
Warm salt water rinses will help to soothe, heal and toughen your mouth and gums
Don't forget to stay well hydrated always :)
And never be shy to call your ortho if you start feeling your wires poking your cheeks!

Hope brace-day goes well for you!

P.S. Was trying to figure out where you're from by the currency ref - Trinidad and Tobago?

haha thats awesome even if Kiwi isn't here her words still go around!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

diande

#5 Post by diande »

Yes it is that her advice gets around! I thought u were copying me the same advice! Lol. So, is KK an administrator/moderator?
...Never thought I'd see the day when I'd log onto a forum for braced ppl FROM THE OFFICE! :lol:
Last edited by diande on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDFD TSchott

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I don't think she is a moderator however she would make an awesome one, with all the advice shes given out.

SDFD TSchott
*BRACE DAY COMING VERY QUICK FOR ME*

diande

#7 Post by diande »

good, well i suppose i'll meet her when she gets back from her holiday :)

btw scott, i noticed ur ticker, how are u feeling right about now ?

:P

oh meryaten, btw, can't wait to see ur before and after pics - which are fast advancing!

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

diande wrote:good, well i suppose i'll meet her when she gets back from her holiday :)

btw scott, i noticed ur ticker, how are u feeling right about now ?

:P

oh meryaten, btw, can't wait to see ur before and after pics - which are fast advancing!
Getting slightly nervous but my friend told me don't worry about it your going to go in and be out in no time with braces so we shall see on Tuesday will keep you all updated here in the fourms and also at http://sdfd-tschott.blogspot.com/

SDFD TSchott

diande

#9 Post by diande »

Very cool Scott! How is it going?

I don't have time to blog my journey with braces- which GO ON TOMORROW Dios Mediante! :P

I want a ticker like urs though :D

Cor1

Your getting your braces on a speacial day!!!

#10 Post by Cor1 »

Just to say your getting your braces on my 36th Birthday!!! So it should be a wonderfull day!!! :D :D

Cor1

diande

#11 Post by diande »

That's great Cor! Should I 'ruin' it a bit and tell you Happy Birthday in advan....nah ;) Well guess what, my birthday is on the 13th too...except it's in in January!

Meryaten: I was re-reading the thread and I think I missed ur last post and I just had to tell you that a guy saw a picture of me once and was like Wow, you have the most perfect teeth...LOL LOL LOL
Needless to say, I told him the truth that the pics didnt reveal!

diande

#12 Post by diande »

Can someone please tell me how to save the Ticker as a Signature so I dont have to keep adding it everytime I write...I dont see anywhere that allows me to write signature in the profile page....very weird

diande

#13 Post by diande »

Ohhhh...I'm still a newbie :roll:

diande

It's Brace Day!

#14 Post by diande »

And the braces are ON!!!

The whole procedure was quite quick (30-45 mins visit altogether), my mouth & lips didn't feel as dry as they looked afterwards!

I have a slight headache, don't know if it's because of my braces or because I didn't eat this morning to be sure my mouth would be extra clean, lol.

Irritation is minimal , only one side of my cheek is being chafed a bit by the ...hmm what's its name? lol :lol:

I'm salivating a LOT and that's the most noticeable thing. :P

Oh and I got a little care package from the orthodontist containing wax, toothpaste, orthodontic toothbrush, floss and threader and some tablet dye thingy...I think that was it!!!

I am so glad the journey has finally begun! :D
Last edited by diande on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

SDFD TSchott

#15 Post by SDFD TSchott »

diande

Well congrats on taking the plunge, I'm sure things will get alot better for you just be sure to stay hydrated, do the saltwater rinses you hear alot about here on the forums and everything should go smoothly.

SDFD TSchott
Code 4