Tops and bottoms

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ame_malia

Tops and bottoms

#1 Post by ame_malia »

I've noticed (reading other peoples questions) that some people get either top or bottom braces put on first, and then the others are put on later. I was curious as to why this is done?

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

In my case, my orthodontist thought there was a possibility he could get my bite corrected without the lower braces. My lower teeth are well aligned so he felt if my bite was able to be corrected without the lower braces, then great, if not,then I would require braces on my lower teeth. The expander corrected my crossbite and in May 2006 my upper braces were placed. At my last appt., he told me to get the maximum correction for my overjet, I would need to get the lower braces. I was fine with that as I already had in mind that I would probably need full braces. I will be getting my lower braces placed this Thursday.

I have read the reason others have had them placed at different times is because more time was needed to make the correction in the upper teeth so the lower braces were placed a few months later.

Good luck with your ortho treatment.

ssfw
Last edited by ssfw on Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ame_malia

#3 Post by ame_malia »

Thanks for the info. I will be getting my braces on in 11 days, and since my ortho hasn't mentioned anything about one or the other being put on first, I assume it will be both at one time. Good luck to you too. :)

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

My lowers went on 8 weeks after my uppers. I think it may be because there was more work to be done upstairs.

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

Alot of people don't have the lower put on right away because, if they did, their uppers would bite the lower brackets off. My daughter had her lowers put on later but still had to have the buildups on her molars to keep the uppers from hitting. She recently got the buildups removed.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

lemonlyme

#6 Post by lemonlyme »

I'm getting an expander so my tops are going on, but without a wire, he said it was optional but most people opt for this because then people would realize why you're getting a gap in your front teeth. So i'll have clear tops with no wire and metal on the bottom. btw i decided i'm getting pink on the bottom :DD:D:D:D:D:D

Kodius Champion

#7 Post by Kodius Champion »

A lot of people don't have the lower put on right away because, if they did, their uppers would bite the lower brackets off.
That was my issue. I got my top teeth braced April 26th, but the bottoms couldn't follow until August 23rd.

Now I have a nice, straight wire on my top teeth (after only 4 months, yay!) -- and a wonky up-and-down one on my bottoms! :( Oh well, what can ya do, eh?

ame_malia

#8 Post by ame_malia »

Having my uppers bite my lowers off is also a problem for me, but my ortho is going to put a bite plate (I believe he called it) behind my top teeth on the roof of my mouth. I'm sure that although that part won't be painful it will probably feel weird.

36nBraced

#9 Post by 36nBraced »

i would have gotten both at the same time but i had to get my gums grafted. so i didn't get my bottoms until 8 weeks later. it was quite an adjustment. i'm still getting used to them.
Length of treatment: 18 - 24 months
06/13/06: Ceramic Uppers
06/29/06: Gum Grafts on 2 teeth
08/10/06: Metal Lowers

10/03/06: First Adjustment, 16 weeks after getting top braced; 8 weeks after lower...whoa !!!

ame_malia

#10 Post by ame_malia »

Umm... what does it mean to get your gums grafted? It sounds painful.

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

I got my bottoms on 6 weeks ago, but I can't have the top ones yet because I had to have mini-implants put in my palate to help move my top molars backwards. they are in now but I'm waiting for them to settle before my ortho uses them.

Eleni

#12 Post by Eleni »

Umm... what does it mean to get your gums grafted? It sounds painful.
Gum grafting is where a thin piece of gum tissue is removed from the patient's mouth, transplanted and stitched to another area in order to replace missing and/or receded gum tissue.

Gum can recede for any number of reasons:
a. periodontal disease
b. prominent roots
c. aggressive tooth brushing
d. muscle attachments, etc.

All recessions do not need to be treated. However if a gum graft is performed it is mostly done to protect the root, prevent further recession and tooth decay.

I hear it stings a bit the first day or so especially if the tissue was taken from the roof of the mouth. But pain meds, milk shakes and naps make it more of an annoying procedure rather than a very painful one.

I have to have it done once my braces are off to protect the root of a tooth whose gum was worn away from crowding.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

MS1

#13 Post by MS1 »

I thought I was getting fully braced on my brace day, but once the doctor put my uppers on, he realized that I could possibly bite the lower brackets off, so he delayed putting my lowers on until last week. It is not supposed to alter my treatment time. Just looking forward to lovely straight teeth.