Dissapointed in stained ligs already...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krooner

Dissapointed in stained ligs already...

#1 Post by krooner »

I got clear braces on top and metal on the bottom. The ortho tried something called "ice" clear braces on the top which are supposed to stain less. Well, after 5 days I've been eating mostly soft foods, chewing on the back only and drinking my coffee through a straw, but the color has changed to a yucky yellow. Is this common? Is there any way of keeping them clean for a while?

I am truly grateful that I'm getting this done, dispite all the griping posts lately...I have waited a long time for this! But it's so new to me and such a thing to adjust to...anyway, thanks in advance

Gracie

newmetal

#2 Post by newmetal »

Im getting clear top and bottoms on friday and from what i have read all clear brackets meet the same fate, the yellow staining. One thing i use to reassure myself is that others will not see this as you not cleaning your teeth properly, is that people without braces or knowledge of them will asuume they were this colour in the first place.

Hows it like being braced?

sjsarre

#3 Post by sjsarre »

I have clear brackets. They have stayed clear, but its the ligs that change colour for me.. So I only have curry just before an adjustment and I am careful what "colourful" food I eat....

Having said that the tooth whitening toothpaste does help slightly with stained ligs..

Are you sure its the brackets that have stained?? If so I would call the ortho office and advise them.

krooner

Thank you

#4 Post by krooner »

Thank you to everyone. Being so new to this I really am not sure what I'm talking about at times. I'm pretty sure it's the ligs that have stained and not the braces themselves. Sorry for any confusion!
I will ask the Ortho at the first adjustment on 10/11 about keeping them clean. I think it's more noticable to me than anyone but I hate that they are anything but white!

Being braced hasn't been as bad as I had thought. I can talk fine and I sleep fine which were big concerns for me. It's ust getting used to all this stuff in my mouth which has been hard. And learning to be comfortable with myself like this!

Thanks again to everyone. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Gracie

sjsarre

#5 Post by sjsarre »

No problem Gracie...

Thats what this website is for

:D

Dramagyrl

#6 Post by Dramagyrl »

Hi Krooner,
I've got clear top and metal bottoms too. I found my elastics stained really quickly too and even suggestions of whitening pastes were leaving the elastics a neon yellow.

I think it really depends on how you want to handle it. I did not want to have to dramatically change the way I was eating (especially when there was very little I could eat at first) and I didn't want to be self-conscious about neon-yellow ligs every time I talked to someone.

I settled for the coloured elastic route. I know it kind of defeats the purpose of clear brackets, but right now I have lavender elastics on the top and they look great. Really subtle with the clear brackets still, so that's good. Then I coordinated with metallic purple on the bottom :)

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

I've got coloured ligs but at my adjustment 2 weeks ago my ortho fitted me with a clear powerchain which is now a disgusting shade of yellow. I'm going to ask him next time if he does coloured chains, and if not, why not!

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

I have had clear ligs/powerchains on my ceramics (bottom teeth only) and they tend to discolour over time. I am a curry lover, however, as well as a tea lover, a red wine lover, in fact I love all food with colouring in it! Ha ha!! I got a new powerchain yesterday and had a curry last night. I've already got some staining on the sides.....sigh.

RabbleRouser

#9 Post by RabbleRouser »

i drink alot of coffee and nothing seemed to keep the ligs from staining so my ortho suggested new white colored wire ties instead of ligs at last adjustment. they make the clear brackets even less noticeable and do not stain at all.

ssfw

#10 Post by ssfw »

Hi krooner,

I have ceramic brackets and the dental assistant suggested glow-in-the-dark opaque ligs since I wanted everything to blend. I don't have ligs now but have a powerchain using the same color. It doesn't look stained but will look at it closer when it is removed at my appt. later this week. I was told that the clear does stain faster. The color I have is like a "neutral" or "off white" color. I really like it. If I don't need powerchains at this next appt., I think I will want some colored ligs on the back teeth and use the opaque color on the front teeth.

I very seldom drink coffee/tea but when I do it does not seem to have caused a problem yet.

If your orthodontist has this color, you may want to try them.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

krooner

Great info!

#11 Post by krooner »

Thanks so much to everyone who made suggestions and/or offered support! I am going to inquire about some of these things next month!

Wish I could see some pics of you guys who have the different colored ligs that blend....

Gracie

Lisa65

#12 Post by Lisa65 »

Gracie look here and you can see people's pics with coloured ligs

viewtopic.php?t=7057