protruding lips/extraction question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thisismethen

protruding lips/extraction question

#1 Post by thisismethen »

Hey all,
I just got braced yesterday! Things are well apart from the common pain from the pressure and just getting used to things. However the one thing that stands out the most and bothers me is the whole lips protruding thing. I feel like they are huge and standing out! Is this just because they are new or is this just one of the prices I have to pay?

Also, I have overcrowding so I have to get 2 teeth removed. It seems like my cannine cant go anywhere until I get the tooth removed so it has space. My appt. is next week. Waiting a week, isnt that big of a deal right?

Can anyone describe an extraction pain? I was just thinking about going during my lunch break and get it done but should I take off of work? or is it really not that big of a deal? Ive heard that the pain and discomfort is worse than braces!

newmetal

#2 Post by newmetal »

Extractions are reallly not that bad, not bad at all really. No, i would not advise going back to work after the extractions, not because of the pain, but because of the swelling from the anesthetic and the blood which will not stop untill about five hours after getting them pulled. However, let me emphasise, extractions did not cause me any pain at all, yes they are a bit uncomfortable after having them pulled because of the swelling from the anesthetic, its very hard to talk. Although the injections are very simplistic and cause very little pain, the one in the roof of the mouth is the one to prepare for, that can cause alot of discomfort. As i said, i would highly recommend that you just go home and rest after having them pulled as you will find it hard to talk with the anesthetic and there would be bleeding so talking without spitting blood would be an impossible task. Spacers have been much worse than the extractions, the extractions are less painful than a filling in my personal opinion!Hope ive helped.

newmetal

#3 Post by newmetal »

Extractions are reallly not that bad, not bad at all really. No, i would not advise going back to work after the extractions, not because of the pain, but because of the swelling from the anesthetic and the blood which will not stop untill about five hours after getting them pulled. However, let me emphasise, extractions did not cause me any pain at all, yes they are a bit uncomfortable after having them pulled because of the swelling from the anesthetic, its very hard to talk. Although the injections are very simplistic and cause very little pain, the one in the roof of the mouth is the one to prepare for, that can cause alot of discomfort. As i said, i would highly recommend that you just go home and rest after having them pulled as you will find it hard to talk with the anesthetic and there would be bleeding so talking without spitting blood would be an impossible task. Spacers have been much worse than the extractions, the extractions are less painful than a filling in my personal opinion!Hope ive helped.

Ilovetosmile232

#4 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

how about the protruding lips?? dose it happens to everyone when will it get better?? or dose it get better at all??

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

how about the protruding lips?? dose it happens to everyone when will it get better?? or dose it get better at all??
What, you don't like the "pucker" look? :D Just kidding. Gradually your lips with go around the brackets, don't worry. If you have extractions in your future, even better yet.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007