Small roots

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Small roots

#1 Post by newmetal »

When having my extractions the dentist commented on how small the roots of my teeth were and how this made it easier to remove them. If i hadn't have been so sedated at the time i would have asked him if the roots are small and this makes them easier to remove, does this mean that my teeth when braced will move quite easilly and at a faster pace? I dont suppose anyone can shed some light on this?

Also, on day 3 of having the spacers in i could feel the space created and there was quite a large gap, again, does this show anything? Or am i just clinging onto hopelol

Drama Queen

#2 Post by Drama Queen »

Hey new metal,

I was told at my initial consult that I had short roots on my two front teeth, not sure if this is the same as small roots. He said that we had to be careful with them because if anything went wrong the roots could die and I would loose my front teeth!!! how reassuring! I have no idea if this means that the teeth will move at a faster pace, but doubt it as teeth move at whatever pace they want whether the roots are small or not.

I hae been braced for a month and 1 week (not that I am counting) and I had spacers for a week before I was braced and I find that sometimes gaps are created pretty quickly and at other times there is no movement at all. I think it is all down to the individual and what part of treatment they are going through at the time ie, thickness of wire, elestics etc.

Not sure if i have in fact shed any light on your questions but I have tried my best.

Cling onto any hope that you want as it is a good way of getting through this journey.

Good luck

Lau

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

One day while waiting for a root canal (oh the joy) I was chatting with the dental assistant about her braces. She made the comment that her total time in braces would be longer than normal because she has short roots. She explained that you have to take it slower with short roots because there is greater risk of the roots reabsorbing.

Dramagyrl

#4 Post by Dramagyrl »

Newmetal
I had four extractions a week before my braces. My dentist told me I had more roots than was normal and it made the extractions very difficult for them to remove. Apparently people have two roots on the top and one on the bottom - I had three roots on the top, two on one of my bottoms and one on the canine below the gumline.

I told my ortho about it when I went in for the braces and he laughed, joking he needed to take my dentist out for a beer to make it up to him. No ugh reaction in terms of my treatment. I'd also say my teeth are moving great despite the roots. I'm no ortho, but in 8 weeks, I see some fantastic progress.
But maybe that explains why I felt so much pain for longer than most on the board have reported....

rsprouse

#5 Post by rsprouse »

Anytime you apply force to teeth in order to move them you risk causing permanent damage. One of the side effects is internal root resorption. That is why ortho takes so long. You could close an extraction gap in a few days if needed, but you would likely create all sorts of problems if you did that. Thus orthodontics is all about light forces. If you have short roots to start with and then you have some root resorption, you are at much greater risk at compromising the periodontal health and could lose the tooth. It is nothing out of the ordinary, just something that your ortho needs to keep an eye on.

Regards,
Rory

juf_84

#6 Post by juf_84 »

I don't know about my roots- but the ortho did comment that my jaw bone is thin (?) and that I shouldn't play rugby (not a problem... I'm not a sporty person lol! Now I have a medical excuse!). I think it has always been thin, my wisdom teeth when they were impacted caused a few problems but they cleared up when they were extracted. I wonder if my jaw bone could effect my treatment? My ortho didn't say anything and he's very good at keeping me informed.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

newmetal

#7 Post by newmetal »

Thanks for all your responses! So do you think i should tell the ortho what comments the dentist made concerning my roots as i may end up with no teeth!lol

rsprouse

#8 Post by rsprouse »

Thanks for all your responses! So do you think i should tell the ortho what comments the dentist made concerning my roots as i may end up with no teeth!lol
That is not necessary, your ortho has a very good idea of what your teeth look like assuming s/he created your treatment plan.

Regards,
Rory