Are Waterpiks really important?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracketed

Are Waterpiks really important?

#1 Post by bracketed »

I have been reading the odd post saying that Waterpiks have been used with braces. However, my ortho never reccomended one. He said brush after every meal, floss daily, use salt water rinses, maintain good oral hygene, etc.

Is it really important to have a Waterpik?

juf_84

#2 Post by juf_84 »

I hope not, we don't have any in Australia!

They would definitely be a plus though, and make things a lot easier. I just use my normal toothbrush and my interdental brush.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

MS1

#3 Post by MS1 »

I don't use one and I just got a great report from dental hygeniest after my first cleaning since being braced. Many people swear by theirs. Personal preference I presume. Same goes for the electric toothbrush. Not necessarily a must have. I use a manual one and all is well.

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

It is not necessary but I can tell you, once you have one you will wonder how you ever got along without one. When I am at home and I have just eaten, I just go in the bathroom and blast all that stuff out of my teeth. It sort of does half the job of flossing and half the job of brushing in one step. I don't bother brushing after lunch with the waterpik. I just use that. Then in the early evening after dinner I use it and then I don't brush until I am ready to go to bed. So my routine is

breakfast - Waterpik, brush
Lunch - waterpik if home, brush if not
Dinner - waterpik
Bedtime - waterpik (If i have had a snack), floss, brush.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

hippyhippo

#5 Post by hippyhippo »

Important? No.

Will it make your life easier? Yes! 30 seconds with a waterpik, and I'm assured that there is no food stuck in my braces that will come back to haunt me later.