1 DAY BRACED AND STILL ALIVE! [PIC]

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

verona

1 DAY BRACED AND STILL ALIVE! [PIC]

#1 Post by verona »

Hi everyone, I posted here about a month ago: new and getting braced! and after much contemplation and preparation, I finally got braced yesterday afternoon!

I had stressed out about this moment for weeks....it was a long and uncomfortable process getting everything placed, but once it was done, I felt like a new woman :) The first thing I did was run to a mirror to check out the newly foreign objects in my mouth that are going to help shape my new smile. I got ceramics on top (social 8) and bottom (premolars and molars - metal). I'm so happy to have finally gotten this far and can't wait to see the progress.

I'm still kind of shy about showing people my new braced face and am speaking with a slur because I'm not used to having so much stuff in my mouth. How long did it take you guys to overcome the shyness? What are some ways/methods to deal with approaching people and their reactions to your braces? I've come right out and told a few people who I've spoken with face to face and can see them clearly but don't feel exactly comfortable in a large room with people I work with who have never seen me this way before. Do you just tell people, or let them stare and wonder?

I also am experiencing some pain when I clench down on my teeth or try to bite/chew. I've been on a soup/liquid diet since yesterday. How long does it take for the pain to go away and/or to be able to eat normal foods again?

Also - I am having the hardest time flossing! It takes me forever to floss and find it so difficult flossing using a threader on the premolars and molars. What type of floss do you use and which methods are the most effective/easiest? Should I invest in a Waterpik in addition to flossing?

One last question: My cleaning routine has always been in this order -
- Brush
- Floss
- Mouthwash

However I notice that most folks here, floss and then brush? Does it matter?

I'm so happy to be sharing my journey with you all. Thanks for all your support!

sjsarre

#2 Post by sjsarre »

Hi congrats on getting braced...

The pain usually occurs the most 3 to 4 days into being braced.. You may start lisping etc.. The shyness went away within a week for me! I have springs at the front which are pretty noticable but I still smile much more than I used to..

With regards to brushing, I don't think there is a particular right or wrong way.. As long as you use mouthwash after I think either way is fine!