bite turbos - when can they be removed

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Izzy

bite turbos - when can they be removed

#1 Post by Izzy »

I have bite turbos. I will have my first adjustment at 12 weeks. I’ve been braced for 8 weeks now.

Already my molars are touching and will probably be even more so in another month.

Will my ortho likely remove the turbos at my first adjustment since my molars are touching? Is there any other reason to have the turbos?

I’m hoping that they can be removed. The original estimate was that they would be in for 3 to 6 months.

Thanks.

joney

#2 Post by joney »

My daughter had a bite plate, kind of like a Hawley retainer but with a big lump at the back of the top front teeth. I think it performs a similar function to the bite turbos. She had it off after a month with great results. She was glad to get rid of it as it cause more problems with mouth ulcers (cankers) than her brace is currently causing her.

Hope you get rid of your turbos soon.

Regards
Joney

Granola

#3 Post by Granola »

I think it will just really depend on what your ortho is trying to accomplish with the bite turbos, and how your teeth respond.

I was told that mine would be on for approximately six months, and I'm guessing they will be left on for about that time period.

Good luck with yours--let's hope they are removed sooner rather than later (because that would equal progress for us!).

Honestly though, I haven't had many problems with mine, so I'm okay with them being on as long as they are doing their job.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

chrisd

#4 Post by chrisd »

ive had mine for about 7 months. i think i may be getting rid of it soon. i have amazingly gotten used to them. speech is fine and so forth
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

Izzy

#5 Post by Izzy »

Thanks for the responses. I will let you know if they come out at my first adjustment. And, if not, why I still need them.

I too am amazed that I have gotten used to them. But it still would be nice to have them out and not bang my tongue on them all day long!