How common is it to NOT have extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kodius Champion

How common is it to NOT have extractions?

#1 Post by Kodius Champion »

Just curious, because I've got some pretty serious crowding happening, and expected to be told that I'd require an extraction or two.

However, there are apparently no plans to do any.

Most posters here seem to have had at least one extraction -- is it mainly an issue of (potential) arch size or an ortho's preference about how fond they are of extractions as a treatment option?
Last edited by Kodius Champion on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

If I were you I would be extremely happy. I think it is both the above. Did you check the treament stats thread on this page?
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Kodius Champion

#3 Post by Kodius Champion »

Yep, just finished posting my own stats.

That's where I noticed how many people have had teeth extracted, and it got me thinking ... why not me? (Not that I'm complaining!! :P )

Jillianleab

#4 Post by Jillianleab »

The first ortho I had a consult with wanted me to have two upper teeth pulled; he made no mention of my wisdom teeth however. The second ortho (the one I selected) told me to have my wisdoms out and that was it. They both had wildly different ideas on what to do with me, so I don't know if it's personal preference, ease, or what. I'm thrilled I got to keep all my teeth (wisdoms don't count!) because it means I will have a broader, wider smile in the end :)
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

juf_84

#5 Post by juf_84 »

The first ortho I saw five years ago wanted 4 teeth extracted. The ortho I'm with now said there's no reason for getting any teeth extracted- I was expecting him to say the same thing. As my treatment progresses, I'm seeing space between my once crowded teeth and I'm so happy I waited! I did, however, get my wisdoms out three years ago- that might have helped!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Attagirl2

#6 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi. I did not need any teeth extracted - but then, my teeth weren't seriously crowded. (I never had any wisdom teeth, so I didn't have to have them pulled either - there wouldn't have been any room for them anyway).
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

HazyBraceFace

i hate extractions! :(

#7 Post by HazyBraceFace »

hey!

Oh you are so lucky, not having to take any teeth out! I've already had three teeth extracted and have one more left to take out this friday!!! I am really not looking forward to it! This is the reason I didn't get braces sooner. I was going to start the treatment when I was fourteen but I was too scared because I was told I would need 4 teeth pulled. Now i am 20 and after seeing two more orthodontists I have built up the courage to do it!! Unfortunately they have all said that I need 4 extractions and the first extraction was a nightmare! worse than i ever imagined, even worse than my nightmares - and i had plenty of those!! But somehow I managed to carry on with it (I just want beautiful straight teeth so badly) and now I have one more to go this friday.

Does anyone know what I can do to stop the bleeding after an extraction?
My previous extractions have caused a lot of bleeding! It starts bleeding from the moment I remove the cotton wool (which i keep there for an extra hour or 2!!) and carries on the whole day and night, then starts to stop the next morning! Has this happened to anyone else? Or am i abnormal?

I would really appreciate some advice as im very worried about this. The sight and smell of so much blood makes me feel sick and anxious, plus I'm anaemic, which means I don't have enough blood as it is and these extractions are making me feel even weaker. Don't want to go through it again!

Hazy

nita

#8 Post by nita »

I think it has a lot to do with your bite. I had four extractions. When I went to the consultation with my ortho she explained to me that they could do treatment without extractions, but my open bite would get worse because in order to get all the teeth to fit, they'd have to flare out my front teeth a little. I guess for many people, having their front teeth flared out a little could help their bite, but for mine, she said it would make it worse.
Consider yourself lucky! Extractions and extraction gaps are no fun!

Hazy... try applying a slightly moist teabag to the extraction site to stop the bleeding. I used a peppermint teabag, but I believe you can use any kind :? . I'm not sure why it helps but I can tell you it worked for me! :) Also, make sure you're not taking any asprin or medication that would prevent your blood from clotting.
Top brackets and spacers on 2/17/06
Molar bands on 3/6/06
Extractions and full braces 3/27/06
Update: 22-24 months total time in braces!

joney

#9 Post by joney »

Kodius Champion

In a previous post you said your teeth were similar to mine. My ortho also said that he didn't want to do extractions which bewildered me. The only thing he did say was that he might consider an extraction on the top for me to even out my midline which is really off, it looks like I only have one central tooth there! This is as a result of a molar extraction on one side in the upper arch when I was a teenager and a hawley type brace. I can't remember how long I wore it for, I do remember being happy when it came off but the teeth obviously slid around since (no mention of retention back then).

I must admit that although I am happy not to have extractions I am also confused as looking at some of the posts on this site that start out looking a lot less crowded than mine but need extractions I am left wondering why my really crowded (especially the bottom) teeth don't need extractions.

I suppose we should be happy :D and trust the ortho's opinion but I understand your concern, I feel the same.

Regards
Joney

KJNELLAMORE

#10 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

the ortho that I chose says NONE (I already had my wisdoms extracted)... I am missing a molar on my upper right that I had broken and extracted and he even wishes that space wasn't there. He plans to open it up for an implant.

jalapeno

#11 Post by jalapeno »

The first ortho I got a consultation with, three years ago, said I'd probably need extractions. I have moderate crowding in the lower front.

Looking at those lower front teeth in the mirror sure seems like there would need to be extractions to make room.

However, the ortho I have just consulted with says no extractions needed and that he often gets people in who have been told they need extractions but then he doesn't need to do them. He says he doesn;t like to do extractions if possible. He has shown me a few photo sets of cases with moderate crowding like mine and the finished pics, no extractions.

He is using Damons which he says he likes better in the beginning esp for crowding as far as less pain from friction when expanding the crowded area, but slightly more difficult to work with in the finishing phase in his opinion.

jalapeno

#12 Post by jalapeno »

i should add i already had my wisdom teeth out

jetgrrl

#13 Post by jetgrrl »

Hi there! It's been ages since I last posted, but I just wanted to jump in as somebody who didn't need extractions. My lower teeth were really crowded and my ortho thought I might need a single extraction, but now I'm nearing the end of my treatment and there's plenty of room! I've even had a few gaps open and close over the course of my treatment.

I did, however, have my wisdom teeth out about 10 years ago, so that definitely helped.

Good luck! And enjoy that you don't need any teeth pulled! :)
Clear uppers on March 21, 2005
Self-ligating lowers on October 18, 2005

Getting the braces off: October 3, 2006!

Kodius Champion

#14 Post by Kodius Champion »

Thanks for the input all, it's good to hear about your own experiences.

Hey Joney, that's kind of eerie -- same tooth alignment, same lack of extractions, same thought regarding others ... you're not a Beatles-freak, action-figure-collecting chemist too, are ya? :lol:

joney

#15 Post by joney »

Hi Kodius Champion
you're not a Beatles-freak, action-figure-collecting chemist too, are ya?
I'm afraid the answer is no to the above. :D I'm a 41 year old Mum of two teenagers. I work in the public sector. From the 60's I like the Doors and CCR but the Beatles are pretty cool too. I do work with a great guy who collects action figures however! Also my brother is a comic art collector.

I was reading through some of your earlier posts and you mentioned that you might need surgery as you have an overbite. I have what I think is an openbite so this may be where we differ. From what I've read here it seems most openbite people need surgery so I am still confused. Are you still scheduled to have your surgery?

I'm still not sure how the ortho is going to fix everything but he did say at my initial examination that he didn't want to do extractions except for one on the top as I mentioned. I was pretty ignorant of the whole brace thing at that time and only afterwards started researching and found this excellent site. I'm off for x-rays, impressions, etc. tomorrow. I suppose that things will become clearer when I have the consult afterwards. Not sure when that will be but I will book it tomorrow.

Regards
Joney