Lisping 1 Week Braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chicklet

Lisping 1 Week Braced

#1 Post by Chicklet »

I have been braced for 1 week today. 3m Ceramic on top and bottom. I am wondering if anyone else experienced lisping after the braces were put on and if so when does it go away?

Tin Indian

lisping

#2 Post by Tin Indian »

chicklet,
:D :D After being braced for only 12 days myself, I find if I speak just a little bit slower and try to pronounce words a little clearer that lisping is kept minimal( and people really don't notice this). Don't know if it will go away entirely but I hope this will help you as it has helped me. BTW. I have SpiritMB clear on top and Damons2 metal on Bottom.
Tin Indian-over and out
Last edited by Tin Indian on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jennandtonic

#3 Post by jennandtonic »

I've heard that ceramics are more 'out' than metals are, as in, they may inhibit your lips more, so it may be a little more of an adjustment when you talk.

After a week in braces (I have just regular metals) I was still learning how to talk without sounding like I had a lisp. You should get used to it soon, it just takes a little bit of time to adjust. It may not seem like it now, but soon you won't even notice it.

KriegeR

#4 Post by KriegeR »

I tend to lisp a little bit more with my brace on, but I lisp anyway due to my open bite. The braces just exaggerated the problem somewhat.

When I originally planned to have corrective jaw surgery, this was one of the things I mentioned to the surgeon; the fact that I was lisping badly with the gap. He said that he couldn't see the surgery doing a lot to correct it, because the way you talk is ingrained, and if you have learned to talk the way you do, then it is very difficult to change it.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get used to the braces, and after a while you probably won't notice anymore! :)

juf_84

#5 Post by juf_84 »

My speech changes when I get tired or I've been talking a lot. But normally, I'm fine, and eventually, you'll get used to all the new hardware and you'll be chatting away just like before!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

ame_malia

#6 Post by ame_malia »

I am getting my braces in 2 hours, and I have been wondering about the lisping also. Will a bite plate make me lisp worse than if I just had braces? Well, I guess I'll find out pretty soon. It's nice to know that you get used to it after a while though.

MS1

#7 Post by MS1 »

I lisp pretty frequently now that I have both my uppers and lowers braced. You just get used to it. No one has actually commented on mine though.

Good luck today ame_malia! :)

ame_malia

#8 Post by ame_malia »

Well, I've got braces now! The braces themselves aren't bothering me yet, but this bite plate is driving me crazy!! I'm producing excess amounts of saliva, and its preventing me from swallowing normally, and my speech is horrible. Plus, it prevents me from biting down fully (that is the point of it, after all), but it makes it impossible to chew, because even my back teeth do not touch. I guess in a few days the saliva problem will fix itself and eventually I'll adust to the other problems, but right now its just really, really annoying.

iBorg

Tomorrow

#9 Post by iBorg »

I'll be folllowing your experiences closely. Tomorrow I get uppers. Not sure about when the bite plate is coming, but it was definetly brought up in the consult as a must. Not only do I have a "heathy" over bite but I grind my teeth pretty badly.

Hope we both survive this experience.

Mike

Drama Queen

#10 Post by Drama Queen »

I had a slight lisp when I had my braces put on but in time it does get better, though I always had a slight lisp on certain words before my braces because of my open bite. There are times when I still think I am talking funny, but a lot of people say that it is all in my head, which is probably is! overtime people will get used to the way you speak in braces and even if it has changed slightly there will come a time when they won't remember how you used to sound and the way you sound now is pretty normal!

Lau xx
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008

diande

#11 Post by diande »

this is my 3rd day in braces. i lisp most of the time not for short sentences that i can take more time to form. the lisping is prob the first thing that got some ppl's attention cos my braces dont show when i talk a whole lot! :D