Gaps That Aren't Closing...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

serendipity

Gaps That Aren't Closing...

#1 Post by serendipity »

Anyone waiting on gaps to close that are taking forever? :evil:

I had two extractions (lower) 10 months ago - I've got a power chain but they just don't seem to budge. It's driving me crazy....and led me to wonder...'is the closing of gaps the slowest phase of the "brace journey"' :?

What do you think? :idea:

~serendipity~
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

jennandtonic

Re: Gaps That Aren't Closing...

#2 Post by jennandtonic »

Serendipity said:
Anyone waiting on gaps to close that are taking forever? :evil:

I had two extractions (lower) 10 months ago - I've got a power chain but they just don't seem to budge. It's driving me crazy....and led me to wonder...'is the closing of gaps the slowest phase of the "brace journey"' :?

What do you think? :idea:

~serendipity~
Boy, sometimes it seems that way! I haven't been waiting 10 months for my gaps to close, but it really does seem very slooow progress on closing gaps. Three of my gaps closed quite nicely, but one has taken FOREVER! I guess we all have to learn that patience really is a virtue, we'll get there...eventually.

I also wonder about after they all completely close. After that, there may only be bite issues to look at, so progress may not be as obvious. Will that seem slower to me? I don't know, I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I've got one gap closing in my lowers....and another opened up about 5 weeks ago. Ha ha!! I got a new powerchain last week across my bottom teeth so hopefully it's bye bye to both soon!

jmpmntwnty3

#4 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

I have a gap between my two front teeth that won't seem to budge, haha. In fact, it's gotten wider since I've been turning the key in my RPE every night for about a month and a half. And I also have two gaps on opposite sides of my mouth where my bottom teeth are that won't seem to budge. But I got a powerchain put in today, and those are supposed to make the gaps close faster .. I hope haha.

Anyone with powerchains .. how long did it take for one of those stubborn gaps to close? My next appointment is in 5 weeks, and I hope at least ONE out of the three are closed by then :D (wishful thinking hehe)
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!

pvarier

#5 Post by pvarier »

Hi,

I have a gap between my canine and lateral that never closed. After waiting 6 months my ortho took my braces off (the bite and everything else seems good)and said we will put them back on after sometime and usually after a period of rest the gaps close almost immediately. I am not sure whether I want to get braced again although it will only be 1-2 mths.

Good luck to you!