Going through hell again after 2nd adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

paulosportz

Going through hell again after 2nd adjustment

#1 Post by paulosportz »

Hey guys,

After my second adjustment about 2 days ago, im experiencing what i expeirenced when i first got my braces. The ortho changed a new wire and i havent eaten so far and i dont think i will for a few more days. I cant even chew bread or even let my teeth touch one another. Its killing.

Funny thing is, My 1st adjustments was fine. Couldnt eat for 1day but then next was normal again.

Is this due to the new archwire.

thanks =]

ps. Im craving to eattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt............................!

KriegeR

#2 Post by KriegeR »

Hi Paulosportz,

You will probably find that this problem does depend a lot on your tolerance of pain. Usually after adjustments I have about 2 days where it is very uncomfortable to eat even soft foods, and it is also painful to brush. However on day 3 the pain usually subsides significantly, and I have never had discomfort last more than 5 days.

You have to remember that once the orthodontist gets a view as to how much he can move your teeth in one adjustment, subsequent adjustments may use tighter wires, or affect more teeth. My orthodontist has certainly been making my wires a lot tighter since my first couple of adjustments, and he's even had to apologise during the adjustment for the amount of tension he's been putting on the wire. However as I said the general rule of thumb for me is:

Day Of Adjustment
No pain

Day 1 After Adjustment
Severe discomfort

Day 2 After Adjustment
General discomfort

Day 3 After Adjustment
Mild discomfort

Day 4 onwards
Little or no discomfort.

This will vary from person to person, but you will find that on subsequent adjustment you know what to expect, and the pain is always less when you know it's coming! :)

Hang in there - it's worth it!

sjsarre

#3 Post by sjsarre »

Hi paulosportz i'd agree with KriegeR on the days of pain etc...

Usually by the fourth day I hardly have any pain from the adjustment. But at the moment my adjustments are quite harsh with trying to push my teeth into position.

Every person is different and it also depends on how you teeth are placed and how much they have to be moved..

Hang on in there
:D

paulosportz

#4 Post by paulosportz »

thanks guys!

so i guess another 1-2days till i can pig out.

ive been living on soup for past couple days and its soo bleh....

=]

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I have pain start a week after my adjustments.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

You may want to start putting more pressure on your teeth. This suggestion is in line with the theory that putting some pressure on them will increase blood flow and get those things healing. When I got my braces, I was given a u shaped (arch shaped) piece of plastic to bite on when my teeth are sore. I have rarely used it but when I have soreness I try really hard to just go ahead and eat, even if it hurts. I don't mean crunch into a hard piece of celery or anything but go ahead and try to eat a piece of soft bread. But please be careful to chew it all - I almost choked a few times when I was first braced because I was hungry and couldn't chew things all the way.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

Yup - that's what I have - a bite wafer. I have the white one :-)
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Zondrae

#8 Post by Zondrae »

Funny you should say that about biting things when your teeth are sore - I often feel like I need to put pressure on sore teeth. Either that or rub the gumline quite firmly. Maybe blood flow explains it?

I hope your mouth is feeling much better soon paulosportz!

paulosportz

#9 Post by paulosportz »

yup spot on

healed in a total of four days!

=]]

life back to normal for another 2 months