Time to settle?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sherri

Time to settle?

#1 Post by Sherri »

Does anyone know once all of the teeth are in the proper position do the braces come off right away and then retainers are used. Or do the teeth have to hold for some time in their new position. If so I wonder how long 2 months? 6 months? Interested to know Thanks

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

I'm pretty sure they leave the braces on for a period of time, but I'm not sure how long. I think it's so the teeth can settle and start to hold really firmly in place. It's my understanding braces are stonger than retainers, so it's the better option, not to mention you can't take the braces out!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I have to agree with Jillianleab. I think they leave the braces on for a few months to really set the teeth in their new position.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

lildave

#4 Post by lildave »

My ortho recomended that I leave mine on for a while longer. My bite was perfect and my teeth were as well. I'm in retainers now and I haven't had any movement going on.

Even if I leave my retainers out for like 8 hours or so, once my retainer is in at night, my teeth don't feel like they've moved at all. Some people have different teeth. I haven't noticed mine moving since I've been out of braces for a month now.

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

lildave: How much is "a while longer"?
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!