Truth of staining teeth once braces removed

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lildave

Truth of staining teeth once braces removed

#1 Post by lildave »

Hello all! I just got de-braced about a month ago. My treatment was 13 months with braces and 6 months of spacer retainer thingys (can u tell i'm not a dentist?)

During my 13 month journey I smoked, drank coffee, tea, soda, chewed gum, and didn't brush after every meal. I brushed about 3 times on average. When I got my braces off I was scared to see what I might have done. I've heard all the rumors of teeth staining forever, different shades, etc.

Once they were off my teeth were as white as ever! I had used crest whitestrips prior to getting braced so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I didn't use whiteneing toothpaste either nor did I floss when I had braces. I know I'm such a bad patient!

Just for those out there scared of the staining rumor, it was un-true in my case. My dentist said the only way to get staining is if you let plaque build around your brackets.

Just hoping to shed some light on the issue!

Jesslzz

#2 Post by Jesslzz »

wow, thanks lildave!

I know I'm not the perfect patient either, I just eat what I want and I don't brush in a perfect-record-style , so I was wondering if very stained teeth were meant to be my reward for that behavior in the future :lol:

Anyway my family and some friends that haven't seen me in a while told me the other day that my teeth were looking whiter now than before putting my braces on! So I guess you are right, and I won't worry if I skip all the brushing after one meal :twisted:

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Full metalmouth!

Joanna20

#3 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi, I'm an okay-ish patient and I agree on that. Depending on your enamel your teeth will stain if u form plaque around the brackets! I don't floss everyday because I think it will be much easier once I take the braces off, so why bother to much now? 3 or 4 times a week is what my patience allows me :roll:

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February