Elastics...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Elastics...

#1 Post by newmetal »

What are they? Why are they used? Im confused, i have no elastics as yet?Will i be getting them? If so how long do they stay on for etc?
Thanks

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Newmetal, elastics are removable rubber bands that attach to hooks on brackets to move teeth in different ways depending on what is trying to be achieved.

They come in different sizes/strengths (light, medium, heavy) and can be attached from top to bottom, vertically, front to back, across the front, etc.

Various members have posted pics of their elastics configurations here.

I knew from day one that I was going to get them because there would be no other way to close my bite. I've had them for 6 weeks and will continue to wear them (all the time) until the job is done, for however long that will take.

Not everyone needs them but if you're unsure, ask your ortho.

newmetal

#3 Post by newmetal »

Thanks lionfish. Well i have a tooth which sticks out, do you reckon i will have an elastic applied to the bracket? Im still a bit confused to why these things are put on and to the reason why some are put on at a later stage?

Also, do they make your lips stick out more and affect your speech?

Many Thanks!

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

newmetal wrote:Thanks lionfish. Well i have a tooth which sticks out, do you reckon i will have an elastic applied to the bracket? Im still a bit confused to why these things are put on and to the reason why some are put on at a later stage?

Also, do they make your lips stick out more and affect your speech?

Many Thanks!
I can't answer the first question, newmetal, that is better directed to your ortho.

As to the second, as my elastics are at the side, they do not make my lips stick out. Nor have they affected my speech. They do rub the insides of my mouth a bit, but it's nothing I can't live with.

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

I'd imagine your brackets and archwires will take care of the tooth that sticks out. Elastics are usually more about bringing the arches into better relationship with one another, or working on open bites - and that is why they are more usually used at a later stage in treatment.
My sentements exactly!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

Like <b>Linda</b>, I too have two triangle configurations. However, unlike Linda, the elastics DO make my lips stick out slightly. I notice a difference when I'm wearing them and when I'm not.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Henna_the_braceface

#7 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

i wear elastics 24/7. and i change them once a day. they are to shift my midline. btw leslie we got braced on the same day! :D