Should I be this happy to be in braces ? Poll

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

Should I be this happy to be in braces ? Poll

#1 Post by Gennel »

I know my treatment has just begun at 3 months since being braced. I look at my teeth every day and it seems like everything goes sooooo slow. But I take pictures every month and am totally amazed and blown away with the changes! Let me just say that I needed several things done before getting braces that involved so much pain that I was in tears in bed miserable for a week at a time. Today looking at the many changes ,it makes me smile . I did not realize just how bad I felt about my teeth until now. Sometimes ,adjustments are extremely painful . My daughter asked me after a painful adjustment " Do you regret it and wish the braces were off mom?" Even in pain " I answered NO Regrets! I know awesome process is on the way and I look forward to it everyday" Some friends think I'm nuts to volunteer myself for this discomfort but NONE of them have a problem with their smile!

How many of you in braces are happy with your choice even through all the pain and discomfort? My one and only regret it is that I did not do this 10 yrs ago when I had the chance!!

For any of you unbraced folks let me just say this will be a tremendous boost to your self esteem that can only of great benefit to you.I know I will have more uncomfortable adjustments ahead of me and will probably be in tears again lol. I will still know that I made the right choice.

Gennel

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Well I am very happy to be in braces and hope that my teeth look really good when I am done and that I can reverse some of the damage that was done and not have anymore damage done.

I don't have THAT much discomfort although after my last adjustment I was talking to some folks in the office. We were talking about all kinds of cosmetic things you could have done and I told them a boob job would have been easier than braces. No really! I mean think about it. With a boob job I would have been all done with the pain and everything within a few months and the results would have been immediate! LOL!

And no I am not thinking of getting one - although I could use one ! :-D
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

new boy james

#3 Post by new boy james »

I've certainly no regrets. I know that this will be one of the best things I have achieved for myself in my life and I can't imagine how it could ever be not worth it. But having said that, my journey so far has been relatively trouble-free. My only problem is impatience!!
"You get nothing but nothing if that's what you do" - Guns'n'Roses

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm happy to be braced. I have some minor concerns about my mini implants at the moment but apart from that everything is going well. I take weekly pics and can see the progress, which makes up for any discomfort I experience.

My work colleagues think I'm nuts to be "wasting" (as they see it) all that money on my teeth, but it's my money and my teeth, so I don't care.

the day I get debanded and walk out the ortho's office flashing my beautiful smile will be one of the happiest of my life!

Jillianleab

#5 Post by Jillianleab »

It's really funny you brought this topic up... Just the other day I was inspecting my teeth (as we all so often do), and got really happy and excited about the progress I've made. I had a few bumps in the road and some pain, but overall, I'm really happy.

Then I got really mad at myself. I know a lot of people on this board didn't have braces as a kid because they couldn't afford it, but I didn't do it simply because I didn't want to. Now I look at the progress I've made in such a short time, and think about the ease of the whole thing and get mad at myself for not doing it sooner! I started to think about all the pictures I neglected to be in, or didn't smile in, or threw away because I WAS smiling in and thought - damnit! If I had done this sooner, I wouldn't have that problem! Then I think about how much better my wedding photos would have turned out with nice teeth and get REALLY mad at myself! Not to mention the bits of anxiety I get when seeing people for the first time after getting my braces and wondering how they will react. Not that anyone has given me any negative feedback, but, whatever.

So, in short (after all that! :oops: ) I'm glad I'm doing this, but as time wears on, wish more and more that I had done it sooner.
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

bracesmom

#6 Post by bracesmom »

I love being in braces too. It keeps me feeling young :wink: :lol: .

I actually have thought about whether I'd miss having braces since I'm so used to them. I'm affraid once they come off, I wont be so happy with my teeth. Based on what I've seen of straightend teeth on this site, I am more encouraged.
Advocating for our nation's waiting children at Adoptive Parents Network

sjsarre

#7 Post by sjsarre »

I have a love/hate relationship with my braces...

Somedays I DO love them and otherdays I just want to rip them out...

But i'm glad i've taken the plunge..

:D

iBorg

Happy

#8 Post by iBorg »

Not sure why but I seem to be happier with the braces than before. It might be that even with the changes in two weeks my TMJ headahes are different and not as bad as before. While that has improved, I've had a few nights of grinding.

The happiness is directly related to the knowledge that I'm doing something good for myself that when done should greatly enhance my quality of life.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

rmwolf83

#9 Post by rmwolf83 »

Call me crazy, but I love my braces! Sure, some days are better than others, but I'm just so excited about how good my teeth are going to look when all is said and done. I can't even begin to explain how much I anticipate my adjustments. It'l like they don't come soon enough! I have one today at 2:00 and I'm all giddy about it. I'll be so disappointed if they don't do anything. I'm hoping to at least get some new ligs, I really am not fond of this metallic red color, makes my teeth look really dingy...yuck! But anyway, I'm so happy with my choice to get braces. No regrets, whatsoever!

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

Tin Indian

#10 Post by Tin Indian »

:D, I wouldn't classify myself as happy being in braces but I am happy to the fact that when I am done I not only will have a healthier smile but a attractive one as well. My only regret is that I did't have enough guts to do this years ago when I was younger. But I will say Smug is a way I do feel at most times.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

Tin-indian I must admit I agree with you :) I don't LOVE my braces lol
I love what they are doing for me lol. Even with the stuff that I had to go through and bumps on the road that lay ahead for my treatment. There are a few moments when I do like my braces and looking at them but if you gave me a choice to not have them at all and have ok teeth already...then I would not be thrilled about braces . I know people say that braces have come a loooong way but not long enough in my opinion.
In my dreams I dream that one day you will have a 1 day outpatient surgery and then you only have to wear a retainer for 1 yr and have NO brackets or archwire at all,just hold the teeth in place with retainers...
I know it sounds a lot like accelerated braces but not in my dreams lol

Gennel

Cor1

LUUUUUV THEM!!!!

#12 Post by Cor1 »

HI ALL I ABSOOOOOOLUTELY LUV MY BRACES, IT'S ONLY BEEN 2MONTHS TOMORROW, AND I HAVE NOTICED THAT EVEN THOUGH GOT A MOUTH FULL OF METAL, I AM SMILIN MORE, AND I LUV THE WAY MY TEETH ARE MOVIN ABOUT ALREADY (WELL THE PAIN PART OF IT NOT SO MUCH) :lol: :lol:

COR1

Svensk Tiger

#13 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I'm very happy in braces. I was initially self-conscious but these days I am much more confident as I know that I have a much nicer smile than before, even with all the metal!
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

BraceUrself

#14 Post by BraceUrself »

On Tuesday,it is my 1 yr anniversary & I am DELIGHTED with my results-I am VERY happy I got them & like others have said, I only wish I would have got them ALOT sooner in my life! My ds has his on now(for only 6 wks so far) & I keep telling him it is SO worth it!!!
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

dcw

SO HAPPY I COULD $%^&

#15 Post by dcw »

Repsonded with an error message
Last edited by dcw on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.