Wire ligs

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snazzynazzy

Wire ligs

#1 Post by snazzynazzy »

Hi, I am not an avid poster, but I think this site is amazing for people of all ages with braces. I have about 1-2 more appts, then debanding! I transferred orthodontists and I am so happy with the change! My previous ortho left all the work to his assistants, and all he seemed to care about was the business, not the patients. I changed to an ortho that does her own work, and LOVE her, cuz she knows all my problem areas, whereas before I had to point them out to my old ortho. Anyway, back to my question. My ortho bent my lower wire in a few places and said that I was pretty much done with my lowers :banana: ! My uppers need more time because I havent been wearing my rubberbands regularly :oops: . I used to when I first got them, but then my old ortho made me stop in the middle, and I got out of the habit. Annnyway, back to my question again:
My new ortho used wire ligs instead of the colored ones. she used this pencil sized device, tied it around my tooth, and then she pulled the whole thing so lots of wire came out and it stuck outside my mouth. She did this to all my lowers, and cut off the stuff that was sticking out. It looked pretty cool, cuz there were these wires with spirals around them. Did anyone else experience this? if so is there a pic I can find of it? Also, what is the point of wire ligs? I like the appearance better, but is it more comfortable? Just curious, answers appreciated!

Granola

#2 Post by Granola »

My new ortho used wire ligs instead of the colored ones. she used this pencil sized device, tied it around my tooth, and then she pulled the whole thing so lots of wire came out and it stuck outside my mouth. She did this to all my lowers, and cut off the stuff that was sticking out. It looked pretty cool, cuz there were these wires with spirals around them. Did anyone else experience this? if so is there a pic I can find of it? Also, what is the point of wire ligs? I like the appearance better, but is it more comfortable? Just curious, answers appreciated
Hi snazzynazzy,

What you described (attaching the wire ligs) is exactly how my ortho does it. Their purpose--it probably depends on the ortho and the case.

Mine uses wire ties at my request both upper and lower, and said that a nice feature of wire ties is that they will exert an even pressure on the teeth between adjustments, unlike rubber ligs which can lose elasticity, though this is not usually a problem at all). My wire ties are very comfortable as long as all of the ends are neatly tucked up under my archwires.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Granola

#3 Post by Granola »

Meryaten, thank you! I realized when I read your post that what I typed was wrong. I said that my ortho said that the wire ties exert more even pressure on the teeth, but I meant to say what you said, that they allow for even pressure/hold of the archwire. Thank you for typing that as I didn't intend to give misinformation. :)
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

snazzynazzy

#4 Post by snazzynazzy »

(It's pretty funny sitting there with a bunch of long wires waving out of your mouth, like nothing so much as a set of displaced cat's whiskers :lol:)
Imagine answering all her questions about what im doing in college and how my classes are going while having all those crazy wires sticking out! lol

neway, thanks for your answers! i still wish I had a picture. I didn't realize they exert even pressure.[/quote]