This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

haremdreams

#1 Post by haremdreams »

At 36, I finally got to thinking about braces.
Grew up with buck teeth/overbite and never really thought much of it since everyone said that i looked fine. I suppose I even convinced myself that I looked pretty ok, and to divert attention worked on a great personality instead. I made a huge leap in career change this year from broadcast management to be a dancer. Yep am a full time dancer now.
Last month I was called to appear in TV and did it.... the show was great, but I hated the way I looked. My side profile was awful :(

That was enough to make a decision, I went online and found this site and all the remarkable postings. It provided me the much needed courage and here i am...

Removed one upper left and right teeth last Saturday and am wearing rubber spacers. Hate it... almost backed out... :?
Just feel like rippin it out, but gosh since I have gotten so far... I guess there is no turning back :wink:

I am soooo happy to have found this site and truly hope this will help me through for the next 2 years!! Braces will go in next Monday.

Will keep y'all posted!

[/i]

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Well done on taking the plunge :D there's a lot of support here. Glad this site helped you make the decision.
Look forward to hearing more about your braces story.

iBorg

Good Luck

#3 Post by iBorg »

I hope your experience will be as positive as mine. My first day with uppers, I had one day of irritation and wondering what I've done but since then they seem almost a part of me. I guess they will be for a while? As it is I haven't had them for a week and I'm looking forward to my first alignment and my bottoms.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Ravishing

#4 Post by Ravishing »

Welcome!

Just wanted to say that I am without teeth and with spacers right now just like you so I know just how you feel (I can't wait to get those evil little blue things out either!!). You are very much not alone on this journey. There are many great people and lots of good information on this site.

Keep us posted on how you're doing :D
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

haremdreams

thanks

#5 Post by haremdreams »

:D oh wow, thanks all.

I truly hope the spacers could be taken out sooner, one week seem the longest time. It's annoying and extremely uncomfortable. Today they hurt bad too...my cheeks sore and blistered. Had to rely on painkillers :(

As much as I am excited, I am feeling scared. All i keep thinking is, if the spacers are this uncomfortable and lasts only for a week... I am gonna be wearing braces for 2 years!!! :o OMG!

* slapping myself* Ok..ok... am trying hard to stay and keep positive...

I know it will all get better, mind over matter right...

Will post soon...

iBorg

Spacers et al

#6 Post by iBorg »

I may be the newest braced person on the list with my uppers on 9/14. I had the spacers and found them really annoying. I also had them for a week. I think the reason they are so irritating is that they are consistent. With the upper braces, I find a host of areas in which I feel something. It's not bad enough to be pain but enough to be a reminder that things are changing. The sensation changing helps it to not manifest itself as a pain. I've noticed in the five days I've had them, that my teeth have definitely moved. Not a lot, but enough to let me know that something is happening. The only pain I've had is where my arch wire has rubbed the inside of my mouth. Thanks for wax!

My biggest adjustment is oral hygiene. Brushing is difficult. For my birthday I asked for a Sonicare with a SMALL head. I’ve tried at least five floss aids ranging from threaders to power flossers. I ordered another yesterday. If I can get flossing down, I’ll be a happier camper.

A couple of days I ago I had a strange sensation; the braces are a part of me now, not an intruder. I'm not sure how long it will take when I get my bottoms and other hardware for the same sense of "togetherness". Something else has happened in the last day or so.... I’m so looking forward to my first adjustment.

In closing everyone I've talked to who has been through this, does not regret the decision to have orthodontic treatment. They also relate how happy they will be when its over.

Good luck, together we WILL get through this, smiling each step of the way.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

cmm1280

#7 Post by cmm1280 »

Welcome Haremdreams!

You sure have found the place for support. This website is great for just about any question or concern you might have about adult braces.

This place is great!

Best of luck to you

:D :D :D :D

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

diande

#8 Post by diande »

Welcome :D
Yeppers to what everyone said: You won't have regrets! I'm also a newbie to braces and I wouldn't look back :)
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

Zondrae

#9 Post by Zondrae »

Welcome Haremdreams - from one 36 year old to another, you won't regret it. I've just had my first adjustment & can see changes already. They poke me, sometimes I'm sick of them & generally they can be a pain in the butt BUT I can't wait to have straighter, prettier, healthier teeth.

Good luck & keep us updated!

haremdreams

updates

#10 Post by haremdreams »

Rubber spacers still in and won't come off till next Monday. NO pain now, except slight discomfort. Amazing part, the rubbers are setting in and sinking in as supposed to. Hooray... I am well on my way!!
Hugs all and thanks, you'll are just awesome! :D

Joual

#11 Post by Joual »

Welcome haremdreams! I grew up with an overbite, too. I sucked my thumb 'til I was 11 years old, which I think caused the problem.

Don't worry, your teeth will look great soon!

RainyDay2

#12 Post by RainyDay2 »

Congratulations on your career change and your new smile journey! Welcome. This is a great site with a great bunch of people!!!

cece

#13 Post by cece »

Hi haremdreams, I'm 36 too and just got braced in August. It was rough the first 10 days or so but after that they start to feel more "normal". Just had my first adjustment and am a little sore but not as bad as the first few weeks...it gets easier :P

Hang in there and just think of how you'll love your teeth afterwards!!!!