Hey peeps need a rant...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Hey peeps need a rant...

#1 Post by newmetal »

Just noticed today that my teeth have turned a deep coloured yellow which has really narked me off! I have been using the sonicare and in my opinion have kept my teeth cleaner than ever before, so why have they turned?Ive never had pure white teeth or anything, but they were reasonably white and now they are, what i can only describe as, a horrid yellow.Why is this? Its so frustrating, if it isnt hard enough having braces at a later age, having teeth that resemble urine just adds to the stress of things! Are we even allowed to use whitening toothpaste on our teeth? Since getting braced, i have to say i have that feeling of two steps forward one step back, my teeth are eventually going to be straighter with a hell of alot of set backs along the way. I know i shouldn't be moaning when there are people out there who long for straight teeth but cant afford them, its just grr its stressful as anything on the road to getting them (so far anyway).

Rant over! Sorry guys its just i dont know anyone with braces so this board is a kind of release for me.

Many thanks

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hiya newmetal

I second Karen. Unless you are doing something different to before, then your teeth wouldn't go yellow just because of being in braces. What can sometimes happen though is that there will be a little excess cement round the brackets and this can stain yellow from coffee, curry or smoking etc etc. If the yellow is just round the brackets then it's probably that. If you have light coloured ligatures then your teeth can look darker against them. The light coloured ligs can stain too giving a yellow look. Darker coloured ligs are more flattering as they will make your teeth look whiter in contrast! :D

I use a whitening toothpaste (Arm and Hammer with baking soda) because to my embarrassment I haven't given up smoking yet but the baking soda toothpaste keeps my teeth unstained.

Check again tomorrow in a different light because artificial light and shadows can really affect the "look" of your teeth. But if you're still worried after that, call your ortho or dentist and get him to have a look.

stRaighteR

#3 Post by stRaighteR »

hey, are u on any type of medication? I know some medications can stain ur teeth...or have u been eating anything that u usually don't eat? just some suggestions...

Kat

#4 Post by Kat »

I completely know what you're talking about.
I to noticed a change. I did stop using my crest vivid toothpaste and now have yellowing. It sucks. No one here really know if we are or aren't supposed to ude whitening toothpaste. I'm asking my ortho on Friday. If the reason doesn't sound to good I AM going back to my whitening toothpaste.
If you look at most people with braces they do look yellowish, just look at all the pictures people post on this site.
Don't get bent out of shape people!!! It is true. I don't have the reason, but it does suck.

Kat

#5 Post by Kat »

Kiwi, I am going to do some asking this week.
I have taken total care of my teeth all my life without any issues of yellowing so it is a bit of a concern and not only smiling with the braces---that would be ok but to know they look dingy in these things well, no fun there.
It would be nice to know for sure why we aren't supposed to use the whitening stuff though.
If I remember correctly I heard years ago about whitening paste doesn't have flouride. Don't know if thats true, I'm going to look on my tube to see.

iBorg

Yellowing

#6 Post by iBorg »

One quick thought, do you have ceramics? If so your not so white teeth will look less white against the white of the brcaket. I know my teeth look not as white before but I can't believe in less than a week they would be stained yellow. I simply choose to believe its the brackets adding constrat to what I see.

Good luck!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

I use Arm & Hammer toothpaste with baking soda which also contains fluoride.
I still can't see how the simple fact of having braces will make your teeth yellow when they were not yellow before though :?

newmetal

#8 Post by newmetal »

Hi guys thanks for all your responses. Im a bit more chilled today, using the thought that im getting my teeth professionally whitened at the end of this calms me down slightly. The only changes i have made is with the brush, i now use the sonicare...which i can feel cleans my teeth better so im just really confused.I dont know if its becuase the clear brackets they use in the invu brace have stained, i have noticed the "clear" wire has also turned a yellowish colour. The glue, or whatever they use to stick the brackets to the teeth seems to have stained so this may be a major factor!

Many Thanks

sjsarre

#9 Post by sjsarre »

Hi newmetal

I've also noticed my teeth are a yellower tinge, however I think I am being a bit of a hypochondriac...

I've never had overly white teeth and now that I brush my teeth three times a day with a fluoride toothpaste, use a flouride mouthwash aswell and look in my mouth constantly I think I have just noticed the "usual" colour a bit more...

I am going to have them cleaned soon but my last adjustment my Ortho said I was doing brill with cleaning them, so I am sure they can't have gone downhill in a matter of a month!!

I think its just me being much more aware.

macca

#10 Post by macca »

Hi Newmetal,

I also found this 'staining' effect was happening with my clear braces, but rather than being the braces themselves it turned out to be two other things causing it:-

- excess glue around the bracket which hadn't been cleaned off was staining.
and
- using clear or white coloured ligatures was a waste of time because they begin to stain after about a week.

This made my teeth look a lot more yellowish, even though the hygenist was telling me I was doing a great job cleaning them. In the end, I took the somewhat extreme step of having the ortho switch the brackets to metal! Not the best idea for everyone I must admit, but I thought if everyone can see the yellow braces, then metal ones can't be much worse.

You could ask your ortho about other 'light' ligature colours, and also to check if there is any excess glue that can be cleaned off around the brackets.

Hope this helps.